Military experience substitute for CDL school?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by HFolb23, Feb 25, 2017.

1. HFolb23

HFolb23 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Hello All,

I recently got my Class A CDL and while I'm not actively looking to leave my current job I have been looking at Class A jobs just to see what's out there.

A lot of what I am seeing on these boards is that it's tough to find a job without a certificate from a truck driving school. My question is will my military experience be an acceptable alternative to that certificate? I have real experience driving tractor trailer for Uncle Sam, for those of you familiar with military vehicles I've got plenty of seat time on M1088s and M915s. My concern is that any prospective employer won't care about that and frankly in my current employment situation it doesn't make any sense for me to invest the time or money in getting the certificate for something that I don't need right now.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 19d

19d Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Sanford NC
    Troops to tankers. I believe it's called Quality Carriers

4. Shock Therapy

Shock Therapy Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2016
    n.cntrl il
  5. 19d

19d Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Sanford NC
    Troops to tankers, Quality Carriers is company. I don't work for them so can't give much more info

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Many companies accept military driving experience if you have the MOS.
    A&R Logistics waives their 6 mos. experience requirement for those with the military driving MOS.
    I don't know if they want a driving school certificate also; you will have to call and ask.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  7. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    Many companies will honor military experience. But, like any type of experience, you'll have to be able to verify it. DD214 with a driving M.O.S. should do. I think the company I work for will honor it. May have to go with a trainer for a couple weeks. There are a few differences between military and civilian trucking. A little help from a good trainer will smooth your transition. Call Britton Transport in Grand Forks, ND. Talk to Kassie. I do know they like military hires. The company was founded by a veteran.

8. HFolb23

HFolb23 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Thank you all for your help so far, it's good to hear that a lot of places waive the driving school requirement. My CDL is my backup plan for now, but I'm glad to hear I have options.

9. 19d

19d Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Sanford NC
    If your transitioning from military to driving. I did it a year ago and I like it. Do the military apprenticeship too if u can. I got 1250 dollars every month for a year tax free. It helps while you getting your pay higher and settling into new type of life style

10. HFolb23

HFolb23 Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Thank you all for your help.

Currently I do local delivery in a non-CDL truck and eventually would like to move into our company's tractor trailer division. While I love my job now, holding the CDL gets me prepared for an eventual transition and offers a backup plan if I find myself needing a new job.

19D- I'm not coming off active duty I'm still in the reserves now but I'm glad that your transition went well. When you were hired by your current employer did they care about your MOS at all or just that you were in the army? Reason I ask is my current employer hires a lot of reservists and retired military and; not that this is a bad thing, but I found it interesting that they don't care at all what job they held in the military, seems like they accept it all as experience for the position.

MrEd and Chinatown- My MOS is 88M; Motor Transportation Operator. I do not have a DD214 because I haven't been discharged but I'm sure a letter from my reserves unit could verify my MOS and experience for any prospective employer.

Texas_hwy_287 and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think 88M is what A&R Logistics specifies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.