Millenicom Wireless: a review and test

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by CommDriver, Dec 9, 2008.

1. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    For those not familiar, Millenicom is a new service offering nationwide mobile broadband internet. They use existing cell towers, presumably Verizon currently. There is no contract and the cost is $59.99 a month, UNLIMITED. They are truly UNLIMITED, no 5gb cap. I suppose this could always change but they told me on the phone that have no current plans to place a cap.

There is a one-time $49.99 set-up charge, but that includes the wireless device. You don't buy the modem, they send you one and then whenever you cancel you send it back to them. The device I received is a Pantech UM175 USB modem.

I haven't got on the open road with it yet. I will keep a running review on how well it works across the country. As for here in Norman OK, it's very, very, slow. Practically dial-up speed. But I was told to expect this as Norman is outside of broadband coverage. They were reluctant to sell me the service until I told them I was in Norman only a few days a month.

They would not tell me on the phone which cell towers they use, but it's been documented on some other well-known digital forums, that Millenicom is using Verizon's towers. Here is the coverage map for 3g Broadband Coverage through Verizon.

You can still get on the internet in most of the non-coverage areas, but not high speed.

Even so, my initial impression is not good with how slow it is here in Norman, 30 miles south of Okla. City. We'll see how it goes when I get on the road.

[​IMG]

Map Legend
    [​IMG]Verizon Wireless Broadband EV-DO Rev-A
    [​IMG]Verizon Wireless and AT&T Network Overlap
    [​IMG]AT&T DataConnect (HSPA)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Here's another one for ya. Check out Autonet mobile. They're available right now.

60 bucks for 5 gigs over cell networks not a bad price.

4. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    Oklahoma panhandle -- have slow access

Southern Colorado desert -- have slow access

Colorado Springs -- high speed, able to stream video

This is looking fairly good so far. I like to be able to get on the internet almost anywhere and have high speed as many places as possible. I can handle the bad coverage in Oklahoma as I'm not there much. I don't expect to cover a lot of territory before Christmas. So I'll pick up the review with the New Year.

That's what I had with Sprint. I need more than 5gb.

5. xxpigxx

xxpigxx Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Harlingen, TX
    5GB is nothing these days

6. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    I guess when Sprint kicks me off I'll have somewhere else to go.

Pur48Ted Thanks this.
  7. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Me too.
    <extra fluff added to attain minimum characters for posting>

8. punkinhed

punkinhed Medium Load Member

Sep 19, 2008
    hello, cleveland!
    well, i just signed up. seems like you'll get boned with roaming charges if you connect in canada, but i can live with that.

i'll be sure and let y'all know how it goes.

9. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I don't spend enough time in Canada to worry about it.

10. Markvfl

Markvfl Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Apopka, FL
    Just went to Millenicom web page. Don't find a limit on the usage for contract service but it says that the prepaid is capped a 5GB like everyone else. Are you sure the service is unlimited? Any updates on the quality of service?

11. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    The prepaid they are offering is through Slingshot, the same outfit that the Pilots are selling. Their regular service, last I heard was still unlimited, but you may want to call them first and find out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.