Millis OTR journal

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Steelersjunkie, May 15, 2017.

1. Gremlin304

Gremlin304 Road Train Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Parkersburg, WV
    Not a fan of blindsiding unless there is absolutely, positively no other way to do it (Like Scientific Games in Alpharetta) so I'll use your plan A. I've got cans and bottles so hopefully they put me in those side docks to the south of the building. I suck at giving myself enough room for U-turns (A problem I had yesterday at GP in West Chester) so I'll try to keep it a little wider than usual. Hopefully those dropped trailers aren't there right in front of the west side docks like they are in the satellite view. Those are right in the way.

On the Street View there's some dropped Millis trailers outside the gate. What's up with that? I've never seen our dropped trailers at a beer distributor before.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    Yes I would not blind side whenever avoidable.

I've never seen that many dropped trailers around the back as there are in the satellite view so hopefully they aren't there. There is also some gravel back there off the rear portion parking lot towards across from docks that extends your maneuver room a couple feet. If you zoom in you can see it.

Those dropped Millis trailers are for dunnage loads back to the brewery that Spirit & Sanzone load.

4. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
    Got this post wrong earlier because I tagged the wrong person. Old age I guess :rolleyes:Congrats @FamilyDAWG all of your hard work and patience paid off! Welcome to the blue star, brother. Call me anytime you need me. Another success story with Millis as a start :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    MIT Thanks this.
  5. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Question for the Millis drivers who are driving or have driven a 2016 Kenworth.
    I trained in a 2019 Kenworth the shifter was on the column. My 2016 has the shifter on the doghouse. Well I was able to manually shift the 2019 going up and down grades. Worked great especially going down grades.

Well the 2016 just dings when I put it into manual. Can’t change gears in manual. I was told by a friend putting it in manual holds the gear you are in. So my question is how the frick do I go down a steep grade? Do I literally have to stop at the the top of the grade and work my way up to 7th or 8 th and then put in manual? Do I have to hit breaks right away get it to shift down then put in manual? It’s a 10 speed. Would really like to know.

Have just been running Ohio to Wisconsin last couple days so have had absolutely no grades to practice on.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  6. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Ya the 2016 I drove they had the manual shift locked, then they stopped doing that with the 2017s and up. But if going down a steep grade with it when you get to the top your going to already be in a lower gear. Decide what gear you want to go down it in, either slow down to get it there, or speed up a lil to get it there, and put it in manual. I only manually shift when going up hills cuz to me it waits to long to shift. But going downhill just put it in 7th or 8th whichever you went up it in and, slap it in manual, and let your jake do its job going down.

Farmer54 and MIT Thank this.
  7. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
    Yup, what @keen98 said. I'm not sure why they did it, but that's something Millis had programmed into the truck. I have no idea what the purpose was, my 15 did the same thing. My truck is a 16 and operates the way the factory designed it. I can shift mine normally.

MIT Thanks this.
  8. Gremlin304

Dec 22, 2017
    Parkersburg, WV
    In my 2016 you can use your up down buttons to shift while in Drive, within the proper RPM range at least. Like others have said, get it in the gear you want for the grade then put it in Manual.

Steelersjunkie Thanks this.
  9. Gremlin304

Dec 22, 2017
    Parkersburg, WV
    Very first time I drove an automatic with a load, it was a beer load that went down the WV Turnpike and across 64 down Sandstone. It was either figure it out, or die. :)

10. packersfanmw87

packersfanmw87 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    Not sure when I'll start school. I'm thinking I'll be moving back to the States at the end of June. So as soon as I can get my permit, physical, and stuff after that.

StyxxNC Thanks this.
  11. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    How did East Syracuse work out for you today?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.