Millis OTR journal

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Steelersjunkie, May 15, 2017.

1. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    You weren't shown how to edit on duty off duty time? If you stopped it should have kicked you off driving and onto on duty. You can fix that

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ImTakinHalf

ImTakinHalf Light Load Member

Sep 24, 2018
    Man, I hate to be that guy, but I'm thinking I need to request a different trainer. It's nothing personal, but I just don't think this person is one to be dealing with student drivers. His style of driving is too aggressive, and the frustration is building. I'm just wondering if Millis is easy to accommodate such requests. I hate to be a troublemaker right out of the gate, but I don't see this getting better. My school trainer would flip if he rode out with this guy - lol

Steelersjunkie Thanks this.
  4. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Does the guys name begin with the letter J?

5. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    No I was not taught to edit anything. I was taught to sit in the drivers seat go ludicrous speed and don’t slow down for any reason. He showed me how to run like a mad man. He did teach me a lot about engine brake and service brakes though so that is a positive. Training was secondary miles was priority. He was a nice enough guy just not a great trainer. I call him a friend but he definitely had a unique training style. To be honest last thing I was going to do was ask for another trainer. After meeting a few other trainees who had multiple trainers it appeared they felt it was a negative mark on their status.

6. Gremlin304

Gremlin304 Road Train Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Parkersburg, WV
    Another little rant too: Why do so many companies NOT tell their drivers what they need when they go to these shippers? I can't tell you the times already I've run into a driver at one of these breweries that's desperately looking for straps or load locks so that the brewery will let them load. I know that we receive specific training and instruction for beer loads simply because we haul so much of it, but I don't understand why it's not more common knowledge what's needed for them. It's not like it's a rare, exotic load.

Part of my hold up yesterday at Budweiser was one of these guys.

JOHNQPUBLIC Thanks this.
  7. ImTakinHalf

Sep 24, 2018
    This sounds EXACTLY like the situation I'm in now! Not the same guy though. At this point, I don't care if it puts me in a negative light with the company, this is not the way to train new drivers and if that's a problem then so be it - I'm still willing to give this a fair shot but if it's an issue requesting better trainers then maybe this company isn't for me.

8. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Definitely ask for a new trainer before you do anything rash. You are paying for the training one way or another. I just gritted my teeth. But my guy wasn’t a #### he just wanted the truck driven his way. In away his aggressiveness helped me out. Challenged me to be a better driver. I knew I wouldn’t drive like him when I got my own truck but his style did help me out.

9. ImTakinHalf

Sep 24, 2018
    Oh I'll definitely ask - like I said I'll give this a good shot. Just wondering though - what did those guys say happened with them after they requested different trainers? Crappy loads or some other stuff like that? Everybody says this is one of the better companies out there, so I guess we'll see. It sucks people have to start off in this career like this. So far I really like truck driving, I just wish there were better ways to get your foot in the door than dealing with merciless companies that treat drivers so rough in the beginning.

Not saying Millis is like that necessarily, just speaking for this industry as a whole from what I've seen.

10. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    If there is an issue with your trainer call Greg and explain the situation. It is not an issue at all, and you aren't punishes for it etc(seriously idk how this #### even gets started) Greg knows not everyone is a good match. It happens and its no big deal. Just be aware you may have to wait for another trainer to become available because we are short on trainers.

JOHNQPUBLIC and ImTakinHalf Thank this.
  11. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Im going to send you a PM with my phone # Give me a call anytine and I'll explain how to edit your on duty/off duty/sleeper time. Its not hard and can come in very handy. Just make sure when you call me you arent driving so i can walk you thru the steps. Also feel free to call me anytime on any issues or questions you have. I'll gladly help

ShinobiSharp and MIT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.