Millis Transfer Benefits (Insurance)

Discussion in 'Millis' started by TruckerWan2Be, Mar 28, 2009.

1. TruckerWan2Be

TruckerWan2Be Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Eldorado, Ohio
    Current Millis Drivers,

Can anyone tell me what insurance benefits you get for your $80.00 + weekly premiums? I'm currently researching all aspects of the trucking industry before deciding on a career change! Also I'm concerned about what I've been reading about low mileage due to the economy; My current weekly earnings are $510.00 a week for a 4 day week, and $637.00 a week for a 5 day week, which I haven't seen for 2 months. also my current weekly insurance payment for family plan is $23.00 a week. Is there more money to be made with Millis than what I'm currently making as an shipping associate in an automotive parts supplier.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TruckerWan2Be:biggrin_25511:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swisschris62

swisschris62 Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2008
    here, there, everywhere
    well your definately gonna be working more then a 4 day week
    sounds like you have a family....youll have to get used to saying good bye and not seeing them for a while
    money is better then what your making now IFyou decide to run hard
    if your not a runner the dispatchers will put you on the list of guys that dont like to run or dont like to go certain places
    if that happens your probably better off where your at now
    insurance isnt as cheap as your paying now
    exactly how it breaks down I couldnt tell you since I do not take insurance through Millis since I am on my wifes plan and she has a government job so we have good coverage already
    youll hear alot of guys claining they are workers and like to stay busy and run but day in and day out of running can be grueling and its definately not for everyone
    this isnt like driving 300 miles on vacation
    youll be driving 450 miles in a truck that beats you up along the way only to turn around and go right back ( or whatever the mileage may be)
    its non stop!

4. TruckerWan2Be

TruckerWan2Be Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Eldorado, Ohio
    Thanks Swisschris,

Maybe somebody else will have the answer on insurance for me. I've received my welcome letter from Millis, so maybe Millis will tell me what the benefits are, deductibles etc. Thanks also for the insight on it's not a cake walk job. I remember when I was much, much younger driving a 4 wheeler and I drove from Streetsboro Ohio to some place way up in Wisconsin before I stopped, As I recall it was long, long drive, but again I wasn't being paid for it either. The place I work for has finally shown their true colors and they just don't care about anybody, and I'm tired of seeing people, good friends getting the shaft, just because they can. Twenty five associates were called in to a meeting at the start of their shift and was given a song and dance and were told they were permantly laid off with no explanation; to make matters worse, some of these people had perfect attendance, and double digit clock numbers out of 600 associates. Seniority was not used. "Welcome to Corporate America"

TruckerWan2Be :biggrin_25511:

5. swisschris62

Oct 14, 2008
    here, there, everywhere
    unfortunately the scenario you are describing isnt soley reserved for corporate america
    i wish you all the luck
    i am not going to talk about miles but i can tell you that i have gone from georgia to wisconsin, alabama to wisconsin, many many times in the last few weeks
    we are either going up or coming down but we are always moving
    personally i like this ....sure beats sitting
    i was involved with transportation setting up stages for a band in the 80's and we were always on the road
    its not for everybody but if its in your blood then you will enjoy it
    personally after 3 days at home i am ready to go again
    good luck you will not regret the millis decision and you will see that most drivers are happy here

truckinwva Thanks this.
  6. 4eagles

4eagles Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Cudahy WI
    So hows it going with the trainer swiss you guys getting along all right and everything?

7. davidh06

davidh06 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2009
    williston, ohio
    ok herenis my next question how are the rooms in ohio i dont want to eat fast food every night and i wanted to know if there is microwave fridge and stove and sink and if not what do most do about eating ?

8. swisschris62

Oct 14, 2008
    here, there, everywhere
    whats up 4 eagles
    out with trainer 3 weeks now
    things are good, we get along good and having fun
    we constantly runningthe longest we have had to wait on a load is about 2 hours
    mostly drop and hook and its usually waiting for ya
    we do all our meals together either making dinners in the truck or stopping to eat out
    i couldnt come up with something bad to say if i tried
    david...not sure about ohio
    i know that in richfield they had us at a super 8 that was very nice and clean...had micorwaves, fridge, pool and laundry
    cant imagine they put you up in a dump in ohio
    millis really does try to do the right thing by its drivers
    if you dont bring your car to school after the first day they will give you a mini van to go back and forth to school which youll be able to use at night to go out and eat or wwhatever you need to do ( that doesnt mean they want to see the van in the parking lot of a strip joint :) )

9. davidh06

davidh06 Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2009
    williston, ohio
    lol thanks swiss and ill be driving myself its only a 180 miles from my house straight down I75 south well see ya soon swiss and once again thanks for everything u have been so helpful

10. 4eagles

4eagles Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Cudahy WI

Man that sounds so good to hear!!! I am so glad you guys are running a lot! and the longest wait was only two hours!?!?!! Plus drop and hook AWESOME!!! Glad to hear your getting along with your trainer real well and all. Wow you really set my mind at ease, I was starting to get worried about wheather Millis had enough work for us or not. Especially since someone mentioned they had a hiring freeze on somewhere iin these threads. I did call them and they said no they didn't have a hiring freeze on and their still taking new students, but I was still worried they were gonna call me and tell me class was canceled or something. I am so sick of sitting at home, can't wait til the 13TH so I can get back to work. Well keep me posted on everything will ya? Stay safe keep learnin....

11. Blufreeze

Blufreeze Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2008
    East Central Ohio

I just finished class last Friday and finished orientation in OH today.
    I'm home now, waiting on a trainer.

The motel is not the best, but it does have a microwave and refrig.
    You may want some ear plugs for the weekend nights.

We went down to Cartersville and then up to Richfield in the middle of the 3rd week and I can tell you that those two schools have much nicer lodging than Trenton, (Cartersville students stay at the Holiday Inn with an all you can eat breakfast buffet) however what the Ohio school lacks in lodging, they MORE than make up for with the instructor. Bill is the best as far as teaching, and making sure you know what the heck he's talking about and answering your questions.

As far as meals go, I think most of us stocked up the refrigerator and alternated between eating in and out. There is a restaurant across the street called "Rileys" that I highly recommend. Also a Perkins (Pukins) next door, a Japan Buffet next door(Eat at your own risk), Outback across the street, Wendy's down the road and some places to get groceries, etc... (Walmart).

During the driving days you'll either want to make sure you take your lunch with you, or cash to eat out. You'll stop at (Pre-determined) locations to eat lunch. Wednesday I believe is chicken day :biggrin_255: and there are a couple other good ones you won't want to miss (If your finances allow). None of the places are too expensive though.

Our class was a laugh riot, hopefully you get some good guys in yours as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.