Millis Transfer School Journey (Richfield Wi Starting 8/18/2014

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by CaptainDaveG, Aug 14, 2014.

1. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    If you read this blog you know that I retired as a 100 ton USCG Master Captain. Do I still have the itch once in a while to go back to it sure...but I really like the trucking so far. I am sure I will buy my own truck down the road.
    Be safe

Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Quick update from the Captain, as I know this website has changed over and I want people to know Millis is really good. I really have no complaints. I am now in my 9th month alone and all 3 of us from the Richfield school have kept in touch and became great friends... one of us has had a wreck 33 grand I wont say who the other 2 of us have had to be towed due to slippery roads no issues with Millis, mine was directed off the I by the police and the and they had alot of us sit on the ramp and it was pure ice...I bet that tow company made 15 grand that morning pulling us all up...oh well. The other student was going up a hill and it was so much ice the rig started to slide backwards no issues Millis just happy no damage... I ran out of FUEL my fault I paid the 175.00 bucks..thats the kind of guy I am but I can tell you my dispatcher OPIE gets me by the house often I would say I have 2 days off per week for sure.

Dennis509 and SHOJim Thank this.
  4. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Final update. Today I turned my truck back into Millis. No issues got paid my vacation pay etc, I have bought my own truck and am doing my own thing....Millis is a great starter company and I am so glad I was able to work for them....

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've been reading the articles about the merchant ship lost this week in the hurricane. So many pathetic sea lawyers commenting on various news sites that don't even know what salt water tastes like. They have it all figured out. Just a guess on my part, but maybe they lost steam and steerage. What do you think? Unlikely the captain was at fault, being in charge of a ship that size, he must have been qualified.

6. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    I think they lost their engines

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That would probably explain it. It's been a long, long time since I've been at sea, but if I remember correctly, during high winds and heavy seas you keep it into the wind. Captain Dave can correct me if I'm wrong, because he's the expert!

dennisroc Thanks this.
  8. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    First off let me say this its tragic loss of life and equipment with the technology that is available to modern day Captains. With that said the Captain is at fault here for the simple reason he lost his ship and crew why going directly into a very serious hurricane. A hurricane is not a water spout that can suddenly pop up, its a strom that builds for days even weeks at a time. Again with the technology available to the captain he should have laid up some where....even if its on a side of an island ....most vessels have a tough time in 20 plus waves even 1000 foot cruise ships 55 foot waves and 135 mph winds very very bad. I am guessing the waves started coming over the bow and water started to come in...then its just a matter of time before it starts to list or lose power. I do know this if I was faced with that we would have been steps from those "hard" life boats....lose the ship but not the crew.

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Nose in... correct. You are not going to turn around in 55 foot waves with a 700 foot vessel... The NTSB will find the ship and figure out exactly what happened. I would think a 700 foot vessel would start to slip going up those size waves and with that wind...then your a sitting duck.

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Good stuff. Going to Millis next month, nervous as hell but reading threads like this makes me feel better. Congrats on doing your own thing Captain.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  11. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi

You will like Millis...ask for Opie as your dispatcher...theres no finer...

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

59EX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.