Millis Transfer School Journey (Richfield Wi Starting 8/18/2014

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by CaptainDaveG, Aug 14, 2014.

1. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    SUNDAY AUG 17TH ONE DAY BEFORE CLASS:​

Well this day started off interesting...I can tell you all I am one that tends to run low on gas in cars, fuel in boats, pretty much anything I drive I have a bad habit of running low. Yesterday, while my Volvo said ZERO miles to empty and living 3 blocks from a gas station I figured I would just get some when I leave. Well you know it, jump in car to head the hour and 20 or so minutes to the Millis Hotel (Super 8) and it would not start. OUT OF GAS ...years ago my youngest daughter gave me some good words of advise as we ran out of fuel together..."Dad I dont understand why you let it get so low, you are going to put the gas in, why not before it runs out?" So I get on down do the gas station knowing I am paying for a two gallon gas can PLUS the gas which just doesnt seem right..no loaners I know the day of the almighty dollar. Well gas in Volvo and of coarse it starts...

Get to the hotel which is about 4 miles or so from the school (Richfield terminal). Its a Super 8. I check in the clerk was very very nice, the hotel is in a good area etc. They have a pool and free breakfast and the Millis transportation will pick us up at 0700. Free WIFI also. Room is very clean does not smell has a microwave and fridge and coffee maker. It will do, its better than basic training.

There is plenty of places to get food within walking distance both fast food and nicer. There is a grocery store within .04 miles. I will generally make my own food 95% of the time but for those of you wondering.

I do have a roommate as of the time of this writting he is a no show. So I selected my bed hope he is ok with that. Will be an early night..

Dave

Be Safe Out There

ArnettINK Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Aug 18, 2014 Day 1 of CLASS
    It's here first day of class. FYI my roommate never showed up last night or for class so we have a total of 4 people in our class and 2 trainers for the new NC MTI School. The hotel serves a light breakfast, it is nothing special, today was eggs, biscuts and what looked like gravy ( saw lots of it going directly into the trash). They also have waffles, bread, fruit was slim at best, its free so...

Prompt at 0700 Chris our instructor picked us up for the 10 minute ride to the Richfield Terminal, which is nice and clean. We got right down to business, tons of forms and contracts, nothing that wasn't explained or emailed up front. You do have to pick your pay, I am sure you could change it but its a lot of numbers to figure out. I had already asked a few drivers what pay scale they take and why so I was ready. One thing to NOTE: MTI is the company that does the class room and teaches you to pass the state test, you pay for that school $ 2500.00 no matter how long you stay at Millis this is done by paying the $100.00 deposit and the $400.00 the first day of class then they payroll deduct you at a rate of $20.00 per week until paid off. It is an intrest free deal . Same is with the hotel you pay for it with a payroll deduction of $20.00 per week until paid off....Then you have the "Over the Road Training" that is another $2,500.00 but is forgiven if you stay 1 year. You also get paid during that time. You are required to do 15,000 miles so plan on 5 to 7 maybe 8 weeks. They are very clear do NOT expect to get home during this time. You are a Millis employee during that time. You are free to leave after the MTI part if you have another Trucking Company you want to work for. Again nothing I wasn't expecting but I had asked alot of questions and did alot of reading before I picked Millis.

You get an hour lunch, you can take the van as a group, I packed my own. After lunch you start with HOS Hours of Service and that goes for a while, you see a video and take a quiz, simple. We then worked on paper logs as you keep one during school, again nothing to stress over. Then we touched on Mapping /Route Planning here at Millis you get to pick the way you get from point "A" to point "B", which is nice, you can plan a stop past home if it works out. Then we watch some videos of the "on board cameras", I know there is alot of people that dont like them but I have worked where we had them and its pretty clear do your job and there will be no issues. You are driving a truck with there name plastered all over it. They were some pretty bad accidents, and some where the camera helped the driver prove it wasnt his fault.

We have a small home work assignment, some reading nothing too much.

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

ArnettINK and littleduck Thank this.
  4. littleduck

littleduck Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2014
    caswell county nc
    Well i just got off the phone with alice and my application got approved and i am starting school in Eden nc on October 13th i am ready for it but nervous about it

PikesPeak and ArnettINK Thank this.
  5. PikesPeak

PikesPeak Light Load Member

Grab that chance, and run with it. They told me no because I'm alllll the way over in Colorado.

6. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Your instructors are in our class..really top notch guys...Pay the deposit..

ArnettINK Thanks this.
  7. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Aug 19, 2014 Day TWO
    Long fast day...I didn't go down for breakfast, had some toast in the room. The 4 of us headed out at 0700. The morning was slow, going over turns, basic tuck functions, etc...lots of stories from Chris all classroom. Then lunch, and some mapping, then out to the TRUCKS, was taught pre trip and he showed us a few different engines types which was really cool, you can tell the newer the eaiser they are to check and see if something is wrong or needs topping off. Then its get in, were going to do the MILLIS 500 around and around the terminal area, which may sound lame but it is not. Learning to double clutch will take time, and learning the shift pattern, what ever you do DONT watch any videos on how to double clutch, you will already have a bad habit. Chris is excellent as is the 2 other instructors from N.C in 30 minutes we had 2 trucks doing the "500" and we all got ample time behind the wheel. Home work was a huge assignement on a trip from point A to B with a total of 3 stops, do the logs and where you would get fuel and your route, took me about 2 hours but its sound. I know this is a little short but the I have to spend some time thinking about double clutching..

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

ArnettINK and dennisroc Thank this.
  8. cincypapaw

cincypapaw Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2013
    CIncinnati
    Good Luck Captain! I start in Trenton on 9/22...52 yrs old and starting over with a new career.I have been wanting too make this move for a couple years and the time has finally come. Again best of luck to you and your classmates.

GeminiTrucker and ArnettINK Thank this.
  9. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Papaw
    You made a great choice. Millis is very busy. Best of luck to you...
    Dave

Be Safe Out There.

ArnettINK Thanks this.
  10. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Aug 20, 2104 Day 3
    Tough day today...we lost a class member. I am not going to name any names besides Millis Employees, during this forum. Its not fair as no one knows I am doing this as this point. R.. as we will call him left in the middle of the night, without notice to any of us. I know he snubbed the truck during double clutching the first day. Millis expects you double clutch up and down. Hey its there trucks, deal with it during class, when your on your own ...well we know you dont do that all the times. But its there school so suck it up! I can tell you from a guy that has had some stick shift cars you cant double shift a truck well...I suck at it. PERIOD. And last night it really bothered me. I myself wondered if I could learn this... but to find out a classmate staying in the same hotel just left..well was hard. I mean I am 48 years old, life some times sucks, it doesnt always deal the right cards. Get up wipe the dirt off it and get in the game. This morning one guy was great as double clutching, he had some experience. By lunch I had some great shifts and some really bad ones...BUT after lunch I got it my brain got it and it is so simple... Yes it will take a life time to master thats why you need to go to MILLIS if they will take you because none of the instructors gave up on us! The 2 of us that were not good at this got 4 hours of practice, In fact we ran 2 trucks.... you think you will get that at SWIFT or PRIME or CR with 90 people in a class NO WAY. All day to make us good. Thats a company that cares. Again, I am not getting paid to write this, I wont take your referral money even if you say my name, nope just the facts... All day on the range 2 trucks running and all the instruction in the world. You know what else, at lunch we sit up in the lounge and every driver so far has been great, really they are there to get something fixed and they talk to us and answer questions...drivers from all over. Same lounge thats how much Millis thinks of all of us... I am going to toss out the F word FAMILY.... Sleep on that one.

We did watch a video at the end of the day..they are lame...we all know that but listen to it.

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

ArnettINK Thanks this.
  11. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Aug 24, 2014 Day 4
    Today was another early start 6am. Spent the majority of the morning doing classroom and videos. Then out to the "range" to start "backing. Now I know this sounds simple but there is a very certian way the Millis Instructors teach you just forget about anything you know or think you know about backing...the quciker you get to that the better you will do. We spent the rest of the day practicing and became pretty good at straight line backing. Again we have one guy who is a rockstar already has his CDL A and has done some driving it clearly shows. I am sure he is wanting more. We had 2 trucks going for 3 guys tons of seat time.

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

ArnettINK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.