Millis Transfer School Journey (Richfield Wi Starting 8/18/2014

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by CaptainDaveG, Aug 14, 2014.

1. cincypapaw

cincypapaw Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2013
    CIncinnati
    Good luck during your 15,000 Captain and good luck to you also Rotor. I will be 1 week behind you starting the 22nd in Trenton.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    The 15,000 miles start now! Sept 15,2014
    Got a call from "R" pickup at Richfield by 1pm, I am his first student, he has over 20 years on the road. We get all my stuff up in the truck, I know I way overpacked but be prepared right. Well the day was do everything,I had an offset back into the shipper, Chris would be proud on it..got loaded on a live load, ( during this time I am not going to name shippers or what were hauling, its Millis contacts etc.) I did a scale were close to 78 k...then R drove us thru Chicago, we took a little nap and at midnight it was all mine, we drove till 7 am, got fuel and took a big chunk out of our 903 mile trip. Long day my shifting was rough but its a way different truck..stay tuned.

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

Big Duker, kiwi23, dennisroc and 3 others Thank this.
  4. ArnettINK

ArnettINK Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Glad to hear Dave.... I have been here 3 days now, going good, small class as I am the only one here. LOL... It's all good Chris is a good guy and we are moving right along. Can't complain, not that anyone would listen... lol.. Safe travels man.

dennisroc Thanks this.
  5. moraramis

moraramis Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Arkansas
    Don't worry about the shifting part. Just remember if it won't go into gear, rise up and kick the stick as hard as you can into gear. That'll teach that impudent truck to disrespect your driver manliness. If sparks aren't shooting out from underneath that truck constantly you won't ever become a good driver. If that truck still doesn't respect you you'll need to climb onto the hood and teabag the windshield to shame the truck into submission. Do this while your trainer is watching so he'll know you are a good driver, and one of the best students he's ever trained. Once you get back to the nearest terminal they'll give you a trophy and your own truck. The best drivers conquer destiny they don't hang back and play it safe.

CaptainDaveG Thanks this.
  6. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    The truck and I made peace while going over the mountains last night....it knew who was in charge now dont get me wrong it put up a fight, but is old captain recalled a wisemans words as I was down shifting and trying no to get run over in the single lane construction zone...."Less is More..Slower is Faster...Captain 1 Truck 0

Dave

Be Safe Out There

moraramis, truckermj and kiwi23 Thank this.
  7. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Sept 16, 2014 Day 2 15,000 miles
    Today was a day of "timing" we had a delivery time of 0800 and we were about 420 miles to go but wanted to be able to have a good day on Wednesday, with lots of time on the duty clock so we can take anyrhing from dispatch...so the plan was chill all day and I would run most of it, then put me in sleeper and be fresh in the am....so I sat and people watched all afternoon at the travel plaza, nice and clean, any of you that have seen the movie Men in Black? Well the "BUGS" travel 80/90....so at about 630p we started out, now I admit my first day gear shifting should have resulted in Mike Millis sending me a bill for excessive abuse on his truck, and "R" says these are big hills, you got to be able to get the gear....pressure is on...I dont like failure. Well having 78k on was an experience going thru PA with narrow construction zones, but then it happened like FM (## Magic) I got it and me and truck 46027 were one bring on any mountian...double clutching downshifting jakebrake all night long....I got done about midnight into the bunk..."R" finished it off...learning alot and know I have a ton more to learn...

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

kiwi23 Thanks this.
  8. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Your the only student...tell Chris to take you on a field trip...visit the new school in NC...you will have skills and tons of seat time! Good luck.

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

dennisroc and ArnettINK Thank this.
  9. bigelk

bigelk Bobtail Member

Jun 5, 2014
    powhatan point ohio
    thank you captain for your posts they give me a idea of what ill be doing soon

dennisroc Thanks this.
  10. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Sept 17, 2014 Day 3 of 15000 miles
    We deadheaded about 30 miles for a 2pm pickup going to Ohio...we arrive at 10 in hopes of keeping those weels rolling...Nope Dockmaster would have no part of that...WAIT! Oh well back to the truck for cleaning and wait..and wait and wait..we get loaded and ready to roll going to take the 610 miles down at once since im fresh...R guides me into rush hour past Newark Airport and 8 lanes of traffic..all good. Off to the mountains ...l am liking them, we stopped about half way " R" wasnt feeling good so were done for the day...

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

11. ArnettINK

ArnettINK Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Yea we got one coming up heading to Muncie, IN, not a bigtrip but enough so he can gain some insight to how Indiana does their CDL testing. Good job on the Hills man... Keep it up...

Be safe

Jeremy

dennisroc and CaptainDaveG Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.