MINI SPLIT SYSTEM INSTALL

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by harold6091, Jul 25, 2021.

1. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Yeah, it's the generator. I'd much rather carry some deep cycle batteries and put solar on the roof, but I hardly ever find good flatbed loads on the weekend, and none of my homes where I can spend the weekend have good paying outbound freight.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. harold6091

harold6091 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    yes 2.5 gal on generator

4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    How big of a truck cab and how does the AC do in hot climates? I see really good deals on those but from what I've read I figured 12k was the minimum for a sleeper cab sitting on top of a big, hot diesel engine.

5. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    Volvo 780. The AC works fantastic in hot weather. It easily keeps cool during the summer whether it's in Florida, Colorado, or anywhere in between. I've yet to test it during a dry heat wave like 120+, though. During the day I usually put up a shade on the windshield, but I've never had to close the sleeper curtain to keep cool. I don't think there's much difference between the 12000 and 9000 BTU models in such a small space.

The biggest problem I have in hot weather currently is the generator frame I built doesn't allow adequate ventilation. I've been going through generators every year due to road salts and snow, so I built this frame to account for that. The tornado fan or whatever you can buy from the truck stop is doing ok, but I really need to get a 12v radiator fan installed instead.

flood and 86scotty Thank this.
  6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Did you remove your upper bunk for the inside unit to hang on the wall?

Also, I've been wondering if a solid generator/APU mount or box can be sourced specifically made for a truck. I mean without buying the APU. Seems like some of the custom sleeper converters might know.

7. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    Yes. We installed a cabinet, and the unit sits on a frame above the cabinet. Our first mini split we placed on a piece of plywood mounted where the passenger sleeper window is. That unit would freeze us out since we slept right in front of it.

The reason APUs work enclosed is probably due to being liquid cooled. You need a lot of air flow for gas generators to keep cool. I tried an aluminum box with a radiator fan and a vent, with the exhaust stub sticking out of a hole. It was extremely quiet, but eventually overheated and the engine would stall.

86scotty Thanks this.
  8. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    What kind of generators are you using? What is happening with them?

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I use a predator 3500... has a 2 year 100% unlimited warranty. Only thing not covered is lost or stolen

lilillill Thanks this.
  10. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I had a Predator 3500 on my truck up until a few weeks ago. Has 8000 hours on it and still works. Never covered it either.

I'm just curious what kind of generator @loudtom had that wasn't lasting in salt weather?

flood Thanks this.
  11. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    I mount them on a frame behind the SCR box, so they're closer to the road than people who mount it on the catwalk. All of the generators function great mechanically, they just start failing with the electronic control components like start/stop and throttle control.

First was a Champion 3500 inverter. After the first snow, the button for electric start failed. Eventually, the remote start failed. Then the pull cord snapped. I replaced the cord, but decided after that winter to get a new one.

Westinghouse 3750 or something was next. It had all kinds of different plastic shields over the plugs and switches, plus had a larger fuel tank. It didn't help, basically the same thing happened. Eventually, the throttle management stopped working, so I couldn't even use the pull cord.

Now I'm using a 3500 Champion hybrid inverter, which is basically an inverter generator on a standard metal frame, without all the plastic shielding. It also has the oil fill on the front of the motor so it's easy to service. Since it's a metal frame, I can bolt it down instead of using ratchet straps, and never need to remove it for servicing. I welded some metal sides on the frame to prevent snow this winter, but it restricted the air flow too much. I've already tapped threads into the back of the frame where the exhaust and intake are located, so I just need to get a fan to fit on the back. I predict the fan will fail due to corrosion, but we'll see.

If this doesn't work, I'm just going to grab a smaller generator that I can parallel with another later if I need more wattage, and I'll mount that up high and get a cover for it.

lilillill Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.