Minimum Brake shoe thickness

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by 379exhd, Feb 4, 2013.

1. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    are you referring to a camover?
    Best regards

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Camovers are not good! :(

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  4. Jimmbuds

Jimmbuds Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I couldnt agree more, I dont wait til they wear down all the way. Wait til they get close and get rid of them. Brake jobs are easy and cheap enough to do often, and like you said if it keeps DOT from getting the creeper out thats great!

77fib77 and scottied67 Thank this.
  5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I usually found the camover on a pretrip, after finding a few as soon as I pulled off the ice onto dry pavement. Haven't found one in a very long time, haven't had one occur driving down the road even once.

Wasn't that big a deal except the trailer was out of service. If it happens at an intersection when you are stopping, it isn't good, but loosing the supply to the trailer is worse, then you have everything with spring brakes set, and you will be lucky to drag it off the roadway if the trailer is empty.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  6. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    The wear indicator on the side of the brake shoes is what the inspectors are looking at. They are not going to measure anything. And since they have eliminated asbestos from the shoe lining material, I have found that my brake drums wear almost as much as the shoes. I replace drums about every 2nd brake job. Perception, not reality is what the inspector is all about.

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    One that lasts 365 days a year! Ewwwwwww! :biggrin_25524:

8. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    Actually, we do measure things, many things. I have a special tool to measure tread depth. I have another to measure pushrod stroke. I even have a special tool to measure brake lining thickness, so I don't just rely on the wear indicator.

If I write you a citation, I have to be able to testify in court regarding that violation. Perception does not hold up well on the witness stand, only measurable, quantifiable "reality."

unloader, BigSky, Chewy352 and 4 others Thank this.
  9. big trouble

big trouble Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2014
    are you with cvsa I ve seen this before, in the new books it doesn't exist that way I tried fmvss it wouldn't search/ is there a place I can find that on something new? everything im finding is one quarter of an inch but it doesn't specify what type of shoe thank you

10. coalminer

coalminer Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    I have a question for you, have done some searching but not found the answer, I have a 24' box truck with hydraulic disc brakes, what is the minimum pad thickness for those? When new, there isn't much more than 1/4" of material.

11. big trouble

big trouble Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2014
    I would check with manufacture or fmvss manufacture probably easier the fmcsr says 1/8 inch for air disc brakes and its vague on size I will look around good luck I didn't look far enough it says 1/16 inch for hydraulic disc

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.