Minimum equipment for taking Class A test?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by gkmissingca, Dec 12, 2017.

1. gkmissingca

gkmissingca Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Could you take the test in a Dodge dually with a 20k GVWR wedge trailer?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    Yeah and have air brakes and no semi restrictions

cmrdev Thanks this.
  4. cmrdev

cmrdev Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2017
    AS LAgging said, You will have airbrake restriction and No Semi restriction. Also, there is a restriction now that restricts you to automatic trans if that's what you take the test in. All 3 restrictions would require you to retake the exam in an actual big rig and not a pickup truck. I doubt you were thinking that you could sneak a true class A with that set up though right?

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I agree with the others.

Get a actual 18 wheeler, a full blooded manual transmission truck.

6. gkmissingca

Feb 18, 2017
    Well, I currently have a class B with air, tanker, manual, but thought I would ask

7. cmrdev

Oct 13, 2017
    YEah even if you showed up to take test in a class b air brake truck with a 10 ton trailer, you would still get semi restriction on class A. In order to not have the restriction, it must be a tractor with 5th wheel. It wasn't but a few years ago where many people would just show up with a big dump truck w/ automatic trans and a tag a long trailer and get class A with no restrictions.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What do you mean by semi restriction? That's not a feleral guideline, or state of Michigan restriction. There is a no 5th wheel restriction if that setup used a gooseneck.
    Drivers

9. cmrdev

Oct 13, 2017
    IF the driver wants air brakes and no semi restriction, He will have to step up to an air brakes tractor with a fifth wheel to take the test. That would be a semi truck. So yes it is a federal guideline. On the back of your license will say "O" No semi

He can get a class A with his gooseneck but with that setup, it will have several restrictions. ITs unclear what he was wanting the class A for

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    An O restriction is simply a 5th wheel restriction. Look at the link I gave.

The op didn't say if that setup was a gooseneck or a 5th wheel. If it was a 5th wheel on the pickup, his only restriction would be air brakes (and maybe auto tranny)

11. gkmissingca

Feb 18, 2017
    Ok, one more question. If the truck is air, but the trailer is electric, will I retain the air on my license?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.