Minor problems with broker pay add up. What if I charge a late fee?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by La415, Mar 28, 2017.

1. La415

La415 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2015
    We are coming off of a pretty bad slump in rates and in business and things have been very tight. While business has picked up over the last month, it seems like brokerages are taking longer and longer to pay. I've called three companies this week who are right at the 30 day mark to make sure they received our invoices and that payment is on the way. (Having found out by experience that if they have a problem with your paperwork, they don't contact you - they just don't pay you and wait for you to contact them...) I was told by one company that their terms are "30 business days" from the day of receipt, and then they only cut checks on Friday, so the check will be cut the Friday after day 30.

I was told by both of the other companies that the check is scheduled to be cut on day 30.

I feel like they are making a point of waiting as long as possible to pay their bills in order to encourage us to utilize their "Quick Pay" programs so that they can keep a percentage. When things were going well and we had a good cushion in the bank, it didn't matter and I didn't pay much attention. Right now, it does matter and it feels like everything to do with our broker/carrier relationships is set up to our disadvantage.

My understanding with most "net 30" business arrangements is that thirty days is a courtesy to allow your customer time to collect their funds, schedule a payment, etc. but the money should be delivered by day 30. If I pay my bills after 30 days, most of my creditors automatically charge a late fee or interest, even if it's one day over.

What is the consensus on charging late fees if the money is received after day 30, even if it's only four or five days late? I understand that legally, the late fee and/or interest has to be written into the terms of a contract, but what if I insert an addendum into our broker/carrier contracts that we will charge a late fee if the payment is received after 30 days? I realize this will probably make the bigger companies stop doing business with us, but I'm tired of feeling like they take advantage of us for that reason - because it's not a flagrant violation of the terms, and because we need them more than they need us, they just keep pushing and pushing the envelop. We're little tiny fish in a very big pond. Too little to fight them on any of it...so they just keep getting away with it.

BUMBACLADWAR, JimmyWells and TallJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LandslideRich

LandslideRich Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    I don't understand brokers paying net 30. They take a cut so let them wait. I have direct customers on net 30 but I make so much more without a middleman that it's worth waiting. These brokers want to pay $1.05 - $1.30 per mile and expect you to wait 30 days for it. Screw that.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    30 business days puts that at roughly 45 calendar days.

A lot of loads I hauled had marked on the bills Prepaid. Someone got paid before the load was even picked up.

BoostedTeg and diesel drinker Thank this.
  5. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    most payment terms are on calendar days not business days. as far as late fee's you can bill them whatever you want. unless late fee's are in the contract you signed with them don't expect to get paid for them. when you sign up for utility for your house in the contract it states there will be late fee's after x number of days.

rank and crb Thank this.
  6. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    I have often thought about getting a stamp made for contracts and ratecons that has standard items such as TONU, late payment fees, delay charges, etc. This fits right in to what the OP is questioning and I wonder if that would be a simple solution. Just stamp the ratecon before you send it back. I agree with the OP the brokers need to be held accountable. They charge us in a minute for any little thing they can think of. In this day of electronic payments, NET 30 is outdated and needs to go away. Thoughts?

La415 and Ezrider_48501 Thank this.
  7. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    Well the deal is all your creditors will give those late fee charges they charge up front to you in writing.So the question would be in the broker carrier agreement did you write it in there about what you charge for late fees or interest before you signed and sent back

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Unless there is a late fee, what is the point of saying NET30 anyway? Without late fees you might as well say NET365. (Or pick any number from 1 to infinity, it's all the same)
    Actually can you not file on their bond on day 31? Should get their attention anyway.

La415 Thanks this.
  9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    It's how they manage cash flow. Doesn't make it nice, but just how business is done. You can play the same game. I have a fuel account that pays out each week, so I don't have to pay at the pump before I fuel. I have a tire and shop account that gets paid the second week of the month. And so on.

If you pay everything out in cash on delivery, then wait 30 days on your receivables, you need to have an adequate buffer of cash in the bank to carry it, or factor your invoices.

If you take a look at major motor carrier bankruptcies, it isn't low rates or driver turnover that takes them out. It's usually a cash flow crisis, usually brought about when a line of credit gets pulled out from under them. Google "eleets logistics bankruptcy" - it's a case study on how that happens.

rank and TallJoe Thank this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Good topic. I am getting itchy when they go past 21 days. I have not had to do any "nasty" collecting yet, but I have not been on my own for too long either. Well, I'd give them a polite hello call when it is 30 calendar days past due too.
    I don't use factoring either, but i hear that it would not matter, the unpaid invoices would return + additional factoring fees. I avoid quick pays too, smells like factoring too much. In principle, I disagree with the quick pay idea. When a plumber comes to my house to unplug the toilet, I need to pay him as soon as the toilet flushes good. So why not the same here? The just can do it, I guess. If you don't like it, take your business somewhere else, you'll hear.

11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Correct me if I am wrong, but If there is no mention in the contract about the late payment fees, there is no legal obligation for them to pay it. So the only (it seems) resolute and effective stick on them delinquent ######## is a threat to file against their bond.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.