Mission- $5000 truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Scud Runner, Sep 6, 2009.

1. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    theres a shaker for 4k at the TA in beverdam, oh the 4-5k for the truck is the easy part... then you need the 2290, ins, plates, and everything else needed to put it on the road.:biggrin_25521:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sgreer78

sgreer78 Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2008
    St Louis, MO
    There's a guy leased to the company I am that bought an old Estes International day cab for like 5500.00, and that thing runs like a top. Not the most powerful thing in the world, but it pulls 45k+ up and down the hills of I70 in MO like anything else. It's got a M11 and 3.90's.

4. Tankergirl80

Tankergirl80 GangstaGirl

Jan 7, 2009
    West Texas

He said road ready. That's not Blue....:biggrin_2559:

Scud Runner Thanks this.
  5. Tankergirl80

Tankergirl80 GangstaGirl

Jan 7, 2009
    West Texas
    Lemme ask you this.

Is $5,000 all you have or all you have to spend on a truck?
    Because 5mouths is right on the 2290 and such.:yes2557: You could probably find a carrier that would cover plates and insurance through payroll deductions, but you have to pay your 2290. Not to mention other miscellaneous costs.
    :biggrin_2556:

6. grc56_tn

grc56_tn Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2009
    all over
    I've got a carrier that will let me bing my own truck. Everything is all set. I can lease from carrier or bring my own. I prefer to bring my own except I just declared Bankruptcy and credit score is not good. I have money to put down if someone will take payments. Truck can not be older than 7 years and must be road ready.

7. Scud Runner

Scud Runner Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Great Falls, MT.

$5000 for a truck and I'll have close to $4000 with the sale of a vehicle. I'd like to go out there in a paid for truck with some coin in my pocket. Not the ideal amount of coin in my pocket obviously however. I read a lot of you pro's say that you need a minimum of $10k cash out there as an owner op. Well, I may be the minority, I had a hard enough time trying to squeeze out $4k. I was contemplating putting $5k down on a newer truck. But I don't want any payments. If I go in with a $5k truck, and it blows up, well back to co driver I guess. I'm hoping with a good oil analysis and dyno, I might get lucky and the truck will last a year without any major problems. Hopefully long enough to have saved a larger safety net. Looks are not important. I could care less about chrome and stacks. Give me a good running truck with decent mpg and that's good for me. I only have one mouth to feed. And my house payment is moderate at $900 month. Add a few other bills and the grand total for my payments is $1,600 a month before food. I plan to pay myself around .40 per mile, not too sure about all of it yet. I'm patient to this, obviously rates are crap right now. But truck prices are cheap. And I could find a cheap truck and work at my current job till I have enough confidence in the industry, and all the items paid for that I need to go out there. Just wanted to see if the idea is just plain crazy, or if it's possible.

If you guys ever come across a truck in this range, please post it for me here, thanks.

8. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Take a chance.....Columbus did. :biggrin_2558:

Tankergirl80 and Dr Demented Thank this.
  9. lowest pete

lowest pete Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2009
    The Badger
    In order to make money you have to spend money. That's what I was always told. I would look on Craigslist out in Cali. I have seen some real nice Cabover Pete's going for 3-5k area and they are road ready.

10. Scud Runner

Scud Runner Light Load Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Great Falls, MT.
  11. Tankergirl80

Tankergirl80 GangstaGirl

Jan 7, 2009
    West Texas
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.