Missouri is misery

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by thelinedriver, Feb 4, 2023.

1. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    Did you change your Driver's license over to Missouri when you got your CDL at a place like Prime?

Here's what I would do if I got a letter from the state of Missouri. I would check the box on the front of the letter that says you are not required to file in Missouri. On the back of the letter I'd write "I was a resident of (home state) in 2022. I have never been a resident or earned income in the state of Missouri. I am a truck driver that earns income across the 48 continental states." If you'd like to get specific you can reference according to 49 US Code 14503.

Then I'd send them the letter back to them. Just to be clear this is what I would do if I got a letter from the state of Missouri and I am not a tax professional.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    here is real advice, get an accountant who is an EA, have them work on problem and fix it, bet he/she has it fixed in a day.

Just passing by, tscottme and Coover Thank this.
  4. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I rather like the way i am set up, equipmeny leased on to a TN carrier, live in IN, never a problem because Tn doesnt have income tax

5. thelinedriver

thelinedriver Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Well thanks for all the input, I spoke with the girl in charge of accounting and she said I don't have to pay the money to missouri, I was misled by an Arkansas CPA, Who obviously didn't understand trucking.
    I tried explaining I don't work in Missouri I'm over the road trucker, but I'm sure the cpa just didn't understand what that meant.
    This year by the way is the only time I had to pay anything in as trucker.
    I usually got something back even if it was just $100.00 , this year over $800 to the man, not much changed ,I made a little more, but it didn't seem to be a big deal.
    The current administration is to blame I'm sure of it.

6. thelinedriver

Dec 24, 2017
    P.S. it's not prime,I would never do that to myself, I have to go a little faster than what 63mph?

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Wait until you write them one for $45K or better.

kemosabi49, Long FLD and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. thelinedriver

Dec 24, 2017
    Please tell me your making that up?
    I did owe ?10k once, but that was before trucking

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Fraid not

10. thelinedriver

Dec 24, 2017
    What is EA?

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I can't imagine that. I just filed and had to pay the Feds $2200. It really sucks that they tax Social Security if you also have a job. I liked President Reagan but he really screwed the pooch on that one.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.