mistakes that let everyone know youre a rookie

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dogchimp, Apr 23, 2013.

1. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Although its aways back to being a rookie most obvious one for me was keeping a lookout for the rear wheels on a tight corner. 2nd would be making sure I had enough fuel for trip, 3rd the opposite over filling my tanks and having fuel leak out when I was parked on a spot with a 10 % camber.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. prosidius

prosidius Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Got pulled over for a roadside inspection and as the trooper was walking to my truck, I logged off duty on the logs. He wasn't too happy about that.

At a customer I made a U-Turn to try to avoid what I thought was a blind side back. All the u turn did was make it a blind side back.

stwik and Slim51 Thank this.
  4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Going inside a grocery warehouse and telling them they got to hurry up. Head lumper says yes, we will get right on that!

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    You would’ve preferred somebody starting another one with the same title?

If one does that instead of using the search feature and posting in one that already exists, well..... you know.

stwik, Hammer166, Rollr4872 and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Have a phone conversation with the speakerphone set to full blast, walk through the truck stop with the phone up to your face like a walkie talkie. Or better yet sit on the toilet holding a full "blast" conversation so even the front desk can hear you. Added points for, "Oh yeah, we were using the Jake breaks and everything!"

stwik and REO6205 Thank this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Or draw @MACK E-6 to take note of your new signature.:rr:

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve been driving T/T for 26 yrs, and still pull in the wrong way the first time stopping at place!! Only once in Cottondale Al did another driver get all bent out of shape.I mean you’d thought I just ruined his day!!! The entrance and exits are backwards.I guess because one has a light it’s marked exit, which makes sense.Either way not a big deal,and I got a kick out of the driver getting all worked up.He was obviously an A- hole anyway!!!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I did that about a month ago in a very tight hotel parking lot.Started truck up while building air released brakes out of habit so when the governor kicks out Brakes are fully released and I’m at 110 psi. Something I started doing with my old trailer as it would sometimes get hung up and not release the anti dock walk arms. Trailer was a pain, anyway Meanwhile the guy hollers He’s done!! I jumped out and walked back to get BOL. There goes the truck rolling down hill headed for a 20 ft drop off! Talk about panic I ran so fast as it rolled toward the drop off about 150 ft ahead. Luckily I caught it, that’s when my wife woke up!!! What’s going on???? Nothing honey we’re empty Let’s go have breakfast I’ll tell you all about it.I always say safety is all about habits.After 26 yrs I almost let an old habit cause a disaster.

Lepton1 and LoneCowboy Thank this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Oh the good old days.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I can only comment on that in the Politics section unfortunately. ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.