Modifying a Company Truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WeightedDips, Nov 14, 2021.

1. WeightedDips

WeightedDips Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2021
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nobody asked you to believe anybody. If you don't believe someone than why are you in the post in the first place, to stir up crap? No offense, but I've been climbing trees for more than 10 years. I've seen hundreds start work, the majority with attitudes like yourself didn't make it past the first day. If they did make it past the first day, they didn't return the second day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now back to the educational post where I was receiving a great deal of answers and help.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WeightedDips

Nov 4, 2021

Very valuable and informative post and I appreciate you taking the time to write all of that out. The "Cat Walk" is one thing I was wondering about. There is obviously a little room back there it appears you could get one of those pull up / dip station towers and keep it assembled, and simply strap it down. Would this work?? If not, I guess I'll find out when I get there.

I start school in a few weeks.

I appreciate all the people who gave valuable input.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find time to do my pull ups, push ups, and dips. When I started climbing trees, many told me I wouldn't be able to have the energy to go to the gym and climb trees all day. But I still managed to get up at 3 am and hit it every single morning and some nights again after getting off. It's a matter of willpower. I will figure it out though when I get on the road.

tscottme Thanks this.
  4. Ross_Tech

Ross_Tech Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2021
    Michigan
    If fitness is your life, OTR truck driving might not be the career for you. With the level of dedication it sounds like you have, it would seem that you could make a pretty good career as a personal trainer of fitness coach.

SoulScream84 Thanks this.
  5. WeightedDips

Nov 4, 2021

I would have jumped into it long ago, but the market is watered down.

I would think the opposite about truck driving. I could be 100% wrong.

Just my 2c which doesn't mean squat, and is only a matter of opinion.

If you don't want to re-set 34 hours, you can only average 8.75 hours of driving per day. Factor in an hour to look over your truck, an hour for fueling and eating, and so forth.

It appears you have to sleep a set amount of hours per night, which is just important to training as actually training itself. Recovery. Than on top of that, driving in the driver seat for hours upon hours, sipping on protein shakes, and allowing your body time to recover.

It almost seems like the perfect environment, I guess it depends on how you look at it.

6. Ross_Tech

Ross_Tech Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2021
    Michigan
    Where there's a will, there's a way. There's just so many things outside your control in trucking, and keeping a routine can be a challenge. If you can make it work, it would certainly be a testament to your dedication. I wish you the best of luck friend!

tscottme Thanks this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Keep in mind that whatever goes on the catwalk is going to get greasy and catch road grime and be covered in snow and de-icer in the winter. And your typical company truck is barely going to have room to turn around up in that space. I’d keep thinking about something you can pack away so it stays clean. Also if you pulled flatbed you could fabricate something so that the equipment you’re buying can slide into a couple stake pockets when you’re parked.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Something else to keep in mind - all that equipment weighs a fair bit.

What will your company's reaction be when you can't make your load legal?

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you go with Greatwide, you're allowed to buy any truck you want and they help you get it financed.
    This way, you can look for a truck that's large inside the sleeper compartment. Maybe take the bottom bunk out and have the top bunk hinged so it can be folded up out of the way when not using it. Those Volvo trucks seem to be the most roomy that I've driven. Probably find a good used one that's coming off lease. These are just ideas you can think about for now.
    [​IMG]

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I don't think the OP is ANYWHERE NEAR buying a Truck. He doesn't even have his CDL YET!!! He can't put the cart before the horse. He doesn't have a cart OR A HORSE!

SoulScream84 and N00bLaLoosh Thank this.
  12. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I know that, but we're giving him goals for the future. Planning ahead is important.
    I also said get a year experience at the least. (Post #8)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.