Money owed

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Good Guy Trucking, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Good Guy Trucking

Good Guy Trucking Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2021
    I leased an owner operator to run under my authority, owner is deciding to part ways but has damaged my trailer, and incurred other charges for insurance and miscellaneous other things.

Can I withhold the owner/ op check?
    The owner op will still owe after deductions from final check . What is the best way to pursue this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I’ll ask this again…

what does the contract say?

if it isn’t in the contract, then get a lawyer.

feldsforever and wis bang Thank this.
  4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Matlack deducted insurance and such from every check and held an escrow to pay off fuel card, etc. keeping most items up to date.

They would finance equipment and such over a few weeks so it was possible that a owner operator might leave with a negative balance.

They also took detention time to collection and would often collect on things long forgotten.

I had a guy ghost away owing around $1200.00 and I ran into him a year later and the accumulated detention collected had him around $500.00 ahead so my cost center was made whole and he was $500.00 ahead too.

I don't think you would see this today

OP has a problem that he needs to work out so both parties are civil and satisfied.

Next time you need to have some form of lease/contract.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well if he is the authority/carrier, he has to have a contract by law, it is not an option for any reason.

I know one owner who sued the carrier (local chicago type) for every penny that was deducted from their settlements because there was no contract, and he won.

6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    One of how many guys who hook up a buddy without knowing they are wrong...

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  7. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

One of the reasons why, whenever the wife brings up using friends or family, I give an unequivocal "NO" response. I'm more leery of doing business with either of them than I am of strangers.

Dockbumper and wis bang Thank this.
  8. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Winning it court and getting a judgement is one thing. Collecting the money is a whole different story. Was this in small claims court or was it bigger than that. Did your friend get a check? Dirtbags like that company can stretch that crap out forever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.