Money saver tips for Cascadia DD15

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by mhyn, Oct 29, 2016.

1. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    1. Original EGR Valve Actuator is discontinued. New updated kit costs $1300 plus tax.

Remove the actuator from engine. Coolant must be drained. Remove bottom 4 corner bolts . Carefully pull apart the actuator. Don’t worry there are no springs or other parts to popup. Apply little high temp grease on gears . Replace the corner o-ring. Original o-ring is black nitrile rubber. It gets old and one shiny day will make you stop on shoulder(happened to me few days a go in AZ). Instead of that black o-ring put there brown viton o- ring. Assemble it back and install on engine. Any autopart store has brown o-ring sets/kits.

2. Radiators lower pipe/tube gets rusty. Update kit costs $200 and it’s a bad designed part.
    Under resonance it shakes and always there is cold leak.

Remove old rusted pipe. Remove old paint with paint remover. Then clean rusted areas with rust dissolver. Sand it good. No rusted spots must be left on pipe. Buy a cold galvanizing spray from home depot and apply on pipe. New finished pipe will be rust and trouble free many many years.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. little cat 500

little cat 500 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Abbottstown PA
    real money saver update don't buy one

RERM, Bakerman, KB3MMX and 3 others Thank this.
  4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    huh.... suggest me what to buy. maxforce , paccar, isx ? prehistoric/fossil cats are not an option. Hilary's friends cali lawmakers would not like it.

Bains, bossboy2, crb and 2 others Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Volvo D13's are good.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    btw latest D13 has common rail fuel system made by bosch similar to dd15

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. JeepJoey345

JeepJoey345 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Eldersburg MD
    I believe with the exception of the big bore maxxforce 11 and 13's that all the new motors and trucks are mostly garbage. I like the way the cascadia's drive.

Why don't more people buy gliders? They are cheaper, you can get a Cascadia or Coronado with a pre EGR Series 60.

The DD's hold up as do ISX's. I like them both for emissions motors.

RocketyMan Thanks this.
  8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I hate cascadia's multiplexing systems.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    Noticed coolant is disappearing but no leaks found ? :) Check the top of DEF header unit (top of DEF tank). Almost all epa10 trucks with 500k m will have leak there. Sometimes it is leaking when outside is cold , vehicle in movement and DEF coolant valve is activated by ECM. Ok. You see it now and you want to buy new header unit. After visiting local dealer you are in pre-heart attack condition because that junky piece costs $1500 plus tax. What to do ?
    1. drain coolant from engine
    2. Go to the*ring*storedotcom and order :
    1.5mm X 26mm V75 Viton O-ring Black (V1.50X026) x1
    1.5mm X 10mm V75 Viton O-ring Black (V1.50X010) x1
    3. remove black trip that goes bottom of sleeper to access the top of DEF tank
    4. There are 4 bolts/nuts on top of header , remove them and pull apart DEF coolant valve. don't worry there are no parts to popup and get lost.
    5 replace o-rings on valve, put some o-ring grease and assemble it back.

Dear friend you just saved $1500 plus and you can go straight to local Lowe's and buy new Webber grill for your family ! Meanwhile I will send hot greeting message (F***ck you ALL) to the designers of this ####ty part and to the persons who decided to sell it fro $1500.

10. traderpats

traderpats Light Load Member

May 24, 2013
    Oregon
    That is one sweet money saver mhyn. I went and ordered the O-rings just in case. No reason not too....they're dirt cheap. Thanks for the info and I second your message to the "engineers" for the want of a better word.

BTW Running a 2015 Cascadia (bought 4 / 2014) and it's been absolutely trouble free. Well one CEL for a software update but still. Run only Western US and it's right at 337K on the odometer. I do baby it with warm ups, cool downs, 25k oil changes, regular maintenance, B5 or better fuel as recommended, and never lug it up a hill. Not sure if it contributes to the uptime but I like to think it does.

Come to think of it never had a parked regen either.....

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    you truck is not EPA 10. it's GHG14 and the valve is different. don't order O-rings.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.