Money vs quality of employment

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cdavis188, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    These last few comments are making me laugh at some of the CB comments I remember made to either JB Hunt or Schneider drivers if they ever got in the hammer lane. I remember once some guy got on the CB and asked JB, what are you doing in that lane?

ibcalm19 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CaliRaised

CaliRaised Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2021
    The mistake there was the Prime truck trying to pass. I have been in that situation. Max speed on cruise is 65. I have found myself trying to pass a truck going 63. Lesson learned:
    Just slow down to just below the speed of the truck in front of me and then set cruise to the speed of the truck in front of me. It's not a race. I will get there and nearly always with plenty of time to spare.

4. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Yes, I've driven all over this great country at both governed ~62 and governed 68. 62 is painful on many cross-country interstates, and terrifying on US or State highways with higher speed limits, and a line of vehicles with red-faced drivers behind you, looking from some place to pull out to let them by.

If you want to drive a slow truck, go ahead. I don't, and I'd wager most drivers don't. And almost certainly nobody wants to be stuck behind one.

Edit: I said terrifying because anyone that has seen the crazy stuff other drivers do to get around a slow truck on a two lane, knows how dangerous and ugly that situation is.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  5. CaliRaised

Dec 20, 2021
    Personally, I think it's being overplayed. Just my opinion. I set the cruise at 62. My mpg is typically over 9, so I hit max fuel bonuses. My monthly Netradyne score is in the top 1/3 of my company, so I hit safety bonuses. To each his own.

6. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    It’s one thing to be able to go faster, but go slower with the ability to pass if need be. And another thing completely to have no option.

7. CaliRaised

Dec 20, 2021
    My truck is governed at 63 on the pedal and 65 on cruise, so I am not really having much option to increase speed. Several months of driving, and I haven't found a situation where I needed to increase speed. I have wanted to many times. But, I have learned to take a deep breath, relax, and slow down, as opposed to feeling like I have to pass.

8. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Seeing that you’re moving to Salina Kansas if you find the job boring I’m sure you can find 100’s of carriers that pass through your new home town to pick from..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.