Montana Tornado (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by GuysLady, Jul 13, 2009.

1. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    More warnings.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I'll make you feel good about this.

I was there.

We had been following the storm across Montana on US 2.

At Glasgow, we decided to stop and get something to eat and kill a little time. We had caught up with the storm. The majority of it was running about 30 miles north. Winds out of SW so no real threat.

We left after 20 minutes. The air was still, the sun was out. The storm was in the distance. Winds out of SW.

After we left the town, there was no cell service, normal for the area. Did not have any weather alert service either.

When out in nowhere, Frazier to be the closest spot in the road, what little traffic began pulling off the road.

We ran into Hail. It was light, penny size for the most part. It diminished so we took off. We made it about a mile. Hail got worse and bigger. My nice looking Dodge Pickup now has hail damage. We pulled onto the shoulder to wait it out.

While sitting there I noticed the clouds were getting a peculiar, yet familiar color. The winds changed to the north and increased in speed. Then the hail started going in all directions along with the wind. Then I noticed that the rain was spinning as well. The pickup was hit with a strong gust of wind, I thought and it seemed to move.

We decided to immediately leave the area. We drove about a mile and noticed what looked like a tornado breaking up in the mirror.

Went about 10 miles and started to get weather radio service and found that there was a tornado spotted in the Frazier area just where we were.

I feel bad since I am a trained spotter, but really the weather was only talking about the severe thunderstorm and the hail. No mention of a tornado watch and I really did not expect one in the state.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
    GuysLady Thanks this.
  4. ann2009

ann2009 Medium Load Member

Jun 30, 2009
    USA
    when does this one take place?We are headed to montana for tomorrow.Last night we drove through colorado and it started off hot and then the temp dropped really quick,lots of lightning but that was about it,kind of creepy in away...

5. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Need not worry.

It all happened Monday.

6. GuysLady

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    Thank you Roadmedic! I LOVE hearing the storm stories from you guys. I wish I had been there.... Someday, I want to do some serious chasing, not this little stuff around here.

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I thought you might appreciate it. I was embarrassed to say the least for getting caught in it.

I did not waste time with a video or anything when I realized what was going on.

GuysLady Thanks this.
  8. GuysLady

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    LMAO! How do you think I felt when we got pinned in the house with no spotters out when a freak tornado hit here??

I was so embarrassed and so MAD! NWS had told us there was no threat that evening, and then caboom! we get hit by some of the most severe weather I have ever seen in my life! It was crazy! As I was attempting to get to the car, the front securtiy door got ripped from my hand and then slammed back into my face.. we had a "gustnado" go through just ahead of the tornado that send a 200 year old tree crashing into a house just down the street...

Melva was more daring and inventive however.. we had "spider lightening" (absolutely GLORIOUS!) and she got video of it.... I just have not figured out how to post it....

9. Tuomas

Tuomas Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2009
    West Coast, USA
    Is the video on Mini-DVD or VHS? If it's on Mini-DVD you can put that in your computer and rip it to your computer and upload via youtube. :) (If it's on a phone, you could easily get a USB data cable for said phone and "move" it to your computer)

10. GuysLady

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    It's on a Kodak EasyShare Z720...

11. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    My wife does camera videos through Flicker I believe. I could ask her, I am home for a couple more days.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.