Monthly Safety Meetings

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 88 Alpha, May 14, 2021.

How do you do your monthly safety meetings?

1. Phone call

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. In person (at a terminal)

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Video chat (Zoom, etc)

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    We have 1 5-10 min video the drivers watch online and take quiz on each month.

They have to take the tests & pass in order to get their quarterly safety bonus.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    We have to do a monthly "worklete" safety video. Usually about 5 minutes long and more to do with warehouse work than driving (we are no touch, go figure) We also have every 6 months a Smith training video to watch and a quiz after. That takes about 20-60 minutes. We get paid an hour for it regardless of actual time.
    We also have a once a year safety meeting and quiz in person. Safety gal simply gives everyone the answers.

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  4. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    This is exactly what we do, except our safety meeting is monthly, previously done via phone, now done in a video chat.

ZVar Thanks this.
  5. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    That's ours, too.

Except if you don't do the safety video, you lose your entire ($125) bonus for the month, which I think is bs, but.......nobody asked me.

Cattleman84 and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  6. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Pretty much the same at DHT, but without the phone call. Just several true/false and,or multiple choice questions at the end.

7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Doing food service we had them every qtr. I never went to one, my run left out the same time of the meetings and i sure as #### wasn't coming in the next day for free

88 Alpha Thanks this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    One thing I love about our contract. If we come into the building for 1 minute, we are paid 8 hours. Keeps management from forcing us to do something stupid like scheduling one hour meetings on our day off.
    "Sure boss, I'll be glad to come in for that meeting and make 8 hours overtime pay" (as I already have 40 on the clock). They don't like paying that out for some strange reason.....

gentleroger and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    We have Safety Thursday call in, and it's voluntary.
    You get your name in the hat for a set of steers if you attend.

Cemex had a monthly in person meeting about 30 minutes on the clock.

10. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Online video, I skip it and go to the questions. Most of the time I pass on first try. Pay is five bucks for each one.

11. Plantfoam

Plantfoam Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2015
    DFW
    That's what I do, and it works until you get asked a question like "what percentage of work zone accidents are caused by trucks?" ...and the answers are a bunch of hard to guess percentages. They know how to get you to watch the video l.

At least I get to do everything online now. At my last job, we had to come in quarterly and do a meeting with a small group of other drivers. It was 15 minutes of material, but it would be always stretched out into 4 hours or more because people had to tell made up war stories like it was the TA lounge.

gentleroger and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.