Montreal to Edmonton trip...advise? Routing help?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Bksrt8, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Bksrt8

Bksrt8 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Oshawa Ont
    Im leaving for a Montreal to Edmonton on wednesday, looking for any advise...ive never run western Canada or Montreal before so what should i be expecting? Ill be taking 117 out of montreal i believe and then 11 and so on...not going through the US. Trying to stay at Flying Js as much as i can as i have a fuel card for there (BVD as well) and id like to shower before the mushrooms start growing. Anyway, any comments or advise would be appreciated as always! Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Go through Ottawa on 417 to 17 to 11 up to kapuskasing.... you are in a foreign land all by your lonesome if you take 117.... the extra 80 km or so is worth it..

Flying j at kapuskasing
    Pass lake (between nipigon and thunder bay)
    Winnipeg
    Balgonie sk (30 min east of regina)
    Saskatoon sk
    Sherwood park ab (east edmonton)

Hwy 1 to 11 to 16 across prairies... not worth the 50 km more to take 16 all the way. Lots of small towns that way.

Truck stops at north bay...new liskeard...hearst...nipigon...thunder bay....dryden... parking area at Longlac...

Plan your days and about how far you will go. Once you get beyond nipigon and pass lake there's limited parking in thunder bay and Dryden and they are far apart. Don't park in the snow plow turn around spots this time of year. I usually get far enough on day 1 so I can make nipigon on day 2. From nipigon get to winnipeg or Brandon, sometimes grenfell sk. From there to Lloyd or Sherwood park. Good food at grenfell. Bvd petro pass there as well (I think). Maybe 10 spots for parking.

4. Bksrt8

Bksrt8 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Oshawa Ont
    Awesome, i really appreciate the info! Thanks!

5. Bksrt8

Bksrt8 Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Oshawa Ont
    Well the trip turned into a purolator run to Calgary...ottawa/montreal is getting hit real hard with snow so dispatch decided to ax the montreal trip...im not gonna complain other than a few less miles...i wasnt overly excited about going to Montreal anyway

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  6. mudflap77

mudflap77 Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    Carry lots of winter fuel conditioner and use it!! It's been ##### cold out west conditioner is far cheaper than a tow truck and safer then being froze up on the side of the highway with no heat for hours in -35 with -45 wind chill. Keep your tanks full, fill up often to mix in good norther/western winter fuel. Personally I prefer petro pass for winter fuel. Good luck stay safe and enjoy the trip!

JB TRUCKING AB and Bksrt8 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.