Moose Bumper, considering the Ali Arc or Herd. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ProfessionalNoticer, Sep 17, 2021.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    I run a magnum on my 379. It's my second one..first one I sold when I quit pulling a pot. After bending 2 bumpers on Bambi I bought another and haven't hit one since.
    I will say my newest magnum has less gussets than my first.
    Guy I used to run for ran magnums too and had several drivers cream deer at 70mph + and no damage

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    With truck in profile pic I hit two at the same time when 6 or 7 tried crossing in rock cut gap . Washed blood off truck lights and kept going I had zero damage.

4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    As I research these things more I've learned that Herd's uprights are boxed in while Ali Arc's are not. Seems like the boxed uprights would definitely add strength allowing me to run a smaller diameter tube. This can save weight as well as not completely hide all the beautiful lines of my hood. However, Herd is talking like a 3 month lead time. Not sure if I can wait that long for one. Then I found Truck Defender in South Dakota. I'm liking what I'm seeing there. Just waiting for them to get back to me about lead times.

5. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    a few small deer, tandems, and a Caddy that bounced off the guard rail at 70mph.
    The last resulted in a totaled vehicle and guard. The truck needed body work, but was drivable.

6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I have a Herd, it held up with only a minor bend when I ripped the front end off a Honda. 8E9637BB-3BBD-4F5A-ADF0-C03613F788F8.jpeg

7. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Thanks! I won't be giving Truck Defender my business and Herd has a ridiculous lead time. Not sure what direction I'm going in now. Rut season starts in a couple weeks so doesn't look like I'll have one in time for it so....

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  8. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I purchased my truck used here in Canada, it came with Ali Arc moose bumper , massive steel beam in front and aluminium the rest, it's heavy i had a constant vibration in front and was a pain to unscrew the two bolts in front every time i opened the hood, some models have different front mechanism easier to open. But i hated it, sold it . I had two collisions with deer first about 7 years ago, in south IL on I-57 N, around first rest area, blew my rad, air to air. Second last year in In on I-70 E, east of Terre Haute without major damage headlight and cracked hood. Does it worth? yes, depending where are you driving, i would't drive through moose zone in Northern Ontario on Hwy 17 and 11 without one.

9. ProfessionalNoticer

Apr 25, 2021
    Thanks. I'm more worried about deer where I'm at so I guess it doesn't have to be a massive Herd style. What was causing your vibration? I've been looking at Ali Arc and noticed they're in Canada. This was another concern I have...getting the bumper over the border.

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  10. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    So are herd bumpers I’ve delivered many loads into the states mostly paccar dealerships though. I think both have us distributors though I just did dealerships.

11. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, it's solid built but large heavy right at the end of frame loading few extra lbs the steer axle . The vibration, even rattling on bad pavement i believe was caused mounting bolt or free play in hinges , it's also causing extra drag, my fuel economy improved after i got rid of it. Here a couple of pics i used to advertise it for sale on Kijiji. Here are plenty used on Kijiji Ontario decent price, it's nothing to wear, imo no need to waste $ on new one,you can arrange shipping to USA. Kijiji Canada

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.