More good news

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Chasingthesky, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Just kidding

Senate hearing sells out truckers, caters to anti-trucking agenda

I’m not sure what world I woke up in today, but it’s not one where truckers have open, equal access to representation before the Senate. It was clearly a hearing that catered to the anti-trucking agenda.

Today, in short, was a very sad day. The Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation’s Subcommittee on Surface Transportation among other modes held a hearing on improving truck safety. From the time the hearing was gaveled open, it was less about open, honest dialogue and was more of a hatchet job.

I mean seriously. Let’s look at the panel of witnesses.

The National Transportation Safety Board was there. That’s the quasi-government agency that likes to armchair quarterback the safety agenda of trucking. They are really big on technology, too.

Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance had a seat at the table. So, the cops sure had their voice. We heard out of them a lot about how they need more money for enforcement.

There was a professor from Penn State who is on the Transportation Research Board. He said at one point the hardest thing about trucking is drilling down into the data. (I don’t know. I thought driving a truck safely was the toughest part.)

There was also a rep from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Suffice it to say they rarely, if ever, give truckers a fair shake.

And, finally, the lone “trucking” voice on the panel was Jerry Moyes. Yes, that Jerry Moyes. The chairman emeritus of Swift Transportation. A company that was referred to at one point as the “pioneer of safety.”

Do what? Pioneer of what? Are you even kidding me?

It was nothing but a sales call for more technology. Which I found comical. Jerry Moyes likes to brag about all the technology on his trucks at Swift, but couldn’t remember to turn on his microphone. Jerry? Technology is only as good as the person using it.

This was a hearing that railroaded truckers. It railroaded them without an opportunity to refute a word of it.

When our Senate thinks it is OK to let Jerry Moyes speak for truckers, we have a serious problem on our hands. This is a man who, and I quote, says “safety has to have a payoff.” Saving lives isn’t enough for Mr. Moyes. It’s paying dividends to the shareholders that matters.

Truckers have to call both of their senators today, right now. This was wholly unacceptable and should not be tolerated one bit. Truckers must have a seat at the table.

http://tandemthoughts.landlinemag.com/congress/senate-caters-to-anti-trucking-agenda/

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I thought Trump was the almighty savior who was going to stop all this sort of BS and was going to look out for the working man?

But seriously, maybe his people won't be sold the same crap that previous administrations bought. I doubt it but all we can do is hope at this point.

What good is it going to do to call our senators? They promised they were going to abolish Obamacare, and we're about to find out how much BS that promise was. They (the republicans) are already acting like they have no power and no motivation to listen to their constituents.

4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Might have to elect your own representative and form the truckers party to get the job done. what do they say "if you want something done properly you got to do it yourself"

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why did this happen?

Because it wasn't a sell out, we just didn't show up.

6. bluerider

bluerider Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Trump's Transportation Secretary is the very same Washington insider he promised to 'drain the swamp' of. Elaine Chao, the wife of Senate majority leader Mitch MConnell (R-KY). Don't look for her to be an advocate for truckers.

Toomanybikes and Grouch Thank this.
  7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
  8. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Sounds to me as though his dissent was all about the law. Law says you cannot be fired for refusing to drive an unsafe vehicle. The driver was fired for operating the vehicle in an unauthorized manner, and the law simply does not provide the same protections for the driver in that scenario.

The real question, though, is why that driver gave a rip about getting fired? Company hangs me out to dry, I'm out of there forthwith. My #1 priority each and every time I roll out is to get myself home safely at the end of the run, and I will not work for ANY company that does not recognize that as an absolute principal which will not under any circumstance be set aside. If what you are asking me to do is not safe, or it endangers my existence more than what ought to be expected in this line of work, then you aren't someone I care to associate with in any manner. I've quit jobs in the past for MUCH less. A new job is only a phone call away.

CharlieK Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.