More lies from the Safety Dept. on using your 4 ways.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Hammer166, Jan 27, 2023.

1. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    And it's extremely annoying, especially when the driver is brake-happy and is constantly stepping on the brake pedal.

The other thing I find annoying and deceiving is how nowadays a lot of four wheelers' reverse lights come on when the vehicle is not in reverse. I guess it has something to do with the remote keyless entry.

tscottme Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Moose lights. On your mirrors, angled out. Common in moose country in the far northeastern North America.

cke and kylefitzy Thank this.
  4. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    My pet peave is the customers that require 4 ways on at all times in the yard. Everyone is flashing and no one can tell who's about to do something "interesting ".

5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Please!
    Everything in a yard is in caution mode.
    Everything is 'interesting'.

Two way traffic, usually, most times, yet there are drivers on the left side and on the right side, going both ways, depending on where they are intending to park.
    Yard dogs that have the right of way, and you don't always know where they are intending to go.

Even if it is one way all around the building, I will flip around to the opposite direction for a short span so I don't have to blind side in to a spot.

Nothing wrong with flashers being on in a yard.

6. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    If everyone has their flashers on, it’s about the same as no one having them on. If someone cant see a semi truck, a few
    Flashing lights won’t make a difference.

4 ways typically mean in going to back up, so give me space, when in a yard or truckstop. Now we have no way to know when to expect that.

cke, tscottme, TripleSix and 12 others Thank this.
  7. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Here’s the thing, if you have just slowed down or stopped or made a major change… put on your 4-ways. You need to indicate ha a change has been made. Running 300 miles down the highway at ⅓ speed is not a reason for 4-ways. Fml. So yes, you are 100% right.

ducnut, Bean Jr. and Hammer166 Thank this.
  8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    ...if you're backing up. Otherwise, it's going to make people think that you are about to back up when you may be about to pull forward, make a turn, or remain stopped.

ducnut, Bean Jr., Nostalgic and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This drives me up a wall, you are looking for a parking spot, and you see reverse lights go on down the row and give up on another spot to get to the one closer to the door and you get there to find out that it is only someone getting out of their car and hitting the remote.

Speedy356 and RockinChair Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This may still be the law in Michigan, if you are below the minimal speed limit (used to be 45 now 55) you are supposed to have your flashers on and if you ave problems find a safe place to exit or if you are speeding up. I see this crap all the time people in cars and pickups driving with their flashers on doing 35 mph on the freeway with a flat tire or spare.

11. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I've done that. My company tells me continue to the next Loves. So at 55 I lollygag along with my flashers on. Why? Because this thing is slinging pieces of gator as I drive. Back away, it could hit your car.

The whole reason we run duals and not super singles is so our trucks can continue on with a blown tire to the nearest Loves for repair. I've never had a cop tell me anything by doing that. As my company would tell you, if you don't like that YOU pay our bill for roadside.

What I do find kind of funny though is that here I am, trotting along at 55, flashers on, tire on trailer obviously shredded along with the mudflap, and I get truckers pull up along side of me and give me the "flat tire" signal with their hands. I have to laugh. Really? Do you really think I'm not aware?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
    ducnut and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.