More than 1 pretrip and postrip in a day.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Boomer08, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Boomer08

Boomer08 Light Load Member

May 26, 2010
    I drive for First Fleet and they just started having the drivers log a pretrip and a postrip for every trailer that you pick up and drop, along with doing a dvir on each. I understand doing the dvir on each piece of equipment but I don't believe the regulations require such. If the regs only require you log one pretrip and postrip isn't the company themselves up for a law suit if one of their drivers, heaven forbid hit and kill someone and they did their required one pretrip and postrip each day but failed to do a company policy rule by not doing a pretrip and postrip on each trailer.. Maybe I'm missing something.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Guess FF don't care how fast you burn up your hrs.I only log pre and post once a day.

skootertrashr6 Thanks this.
  4. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

So, you mean to tell me that you do NOT look over the trailers that you pick up?

Dinomite Thanks this.
  5. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    I would think the 15 minute on duty not driving for the drop and hook would suffice for the inspection. Just wasting your clock if you're logging a pre and post trip as well. There really isn't .much to check on a trailer so 15 minutes to drop on hook to another and check the lights tires and brakes should be enough. IMO.

Cowpie1 and CondoCruiser Thank this.
  6. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    I never read that in any of the posts. Just because you don't show the start time on the log for the ptis doesn't mean it wasn't done. Its more of a matter of saving 30 minutes of your clock. If you drop and hook and don't look stuff over you're just asking for trouble. Looking it over is one thing logging it is another. Its all about saving hours and time.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I drop/hook 12 times a day takes less then 15 minutes but I log .50 to plz the dot.I only log 15 pre and 15 min post.I wont log pre/post for every d/h unless you can log tht as part of your half hr drp/hook.So is this poster saying he has to log.75 every time he drps and hooks?

379exhd Thanks this.
  8. shepard74

shepard74 Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2013
    OurCO has added 2 inputs for each duty status so for instance we can load/pretrip.Or unload/postrip. Or fuel/tire check for when ya have hazmat. Why would youlog 30 min for del + 15 min for pretrip when you can do them at the same time?

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I don't know,maybe we're not quite understanding exactly what the poster is saying.Companies have policies that DOT does'nt have and drivers must follow the policies.Like I said I can drop/hook and inspect which is done while walking back to check the seal all in 15 minutes.But I logg half hr each time so the dot dont give me static.

10. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    like pattyj said, whether the rules say its required or not, your company can make any policy they want, as long as it doesn't violate any DOT stuff of course. as far as a lawsuit against the company... what would requiring a driver to LOG more inspections have anything to do with them hitting someone, we all check (or I would hope) a trailer when we pick it up, now they are just requiring it to be documented, so isn't the company kinda now covering themselves since you supposedly 'inspected' this trailer and they found themselves in an accident? (again assuming you meant this accident happened because of something faulty on the equipment) paper trails... that's what its all about. when they need to go back and point a finger that's where its gonna start. like when companies 'write you up' but it really most times means nothing, "oh just sign this, its just a slap on the wrist, you'll be fine"... when the poop hits the fan, its the first thing they're gonna reach for ^.^

11. Raezzor

Raezzor Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Aug 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I'd imagine the most truthful way to log it would be as a drop, hook and trailer inspection. You aren't really doing a pre-trip since that includes the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.