Most Important Questions From New Drivers Threads

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WiseOne, Aug 8, 2007.

1. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

CYA! and DONT HIT ANYTHING and as soon as you can apply for a local LTL job with conway, and you'll be set for life :yes2557:

American Trucker

cheburgie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cheburgie

cheburgie Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2011
    nor, cal
    thanks should be on the road by the first week in november! hopefully cya!

4. BigDiezel

BigDiezel Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Paris, TX
    I've been thinking about trying to get on with central, But I am worried I won't get accepted because I was arrested for driving while suspended with no proof of insurance back in 2009. That was in Kansas, I live in Texas now with a valid drivers license since 6/2010 no tickets at all since 2009, a steady work history, and plenty of good references. If Central will not hire me are their any starter companies that might?

5. kloy

kloy Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2010
    AZ
    yo, i have a question bout backing up, i believe i know the answer after thinking bout it for some time, im just looking for the forsure answer......so when i dock i can get it set up pretty good, and i know str8 back is easy but i seem to not get it in 1 0r 2 trys some times. so instead of pullin up and trying again, i wannna be able to fix it as i move foward so its more prepped for backing up again. so lets say im lil too much to the left. and i think in my head if i pull foward and turn left, my trailer should be turned to the right and i need to just pull up and my trailer should be more to the right. but when i do this its off.....so the other way i think about it is if i turn right as i pull forward my tractor is more to the right and as i pull foward my trailer should follow making it more to the right. rite? so i would say pulling right is the right way to go, but could it be done the other way too? some how?.....i just remember both workin but im not sure, what yall think?

6. john b

john b Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2011
    midwest
    hi all.i am set to start school in january in iowa and as a requirment for tuition assistance i need to get 2 letters of intent to hire.i have of list of companies that hire in my area and one company i conntacted about employment was kllm and schneider.kllm was telling me about hazmat endorsment.so is this a background check? i am 47 yrs old and its been 20 some years since i have been in any trouble.i know i have been fingerprinted before. very very new to this and really dont know anything bout hazmat.have a clean driveing record though.any tips would be great

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Hazmat endorsement requires a written test (often multiple choice on a machine ) as well a fingerprinting and a background check .
    Procedures vary according to state . Some states hve you take the hazmat test first , others make you wait for results of the background check before taking the hazmat test .
    Whenever you renew your hazmat endorsement you will need to be fingerprinted again . Many carriers also require a TWIC . You will also have to be fingerprinted for this even if you already passed the hazmat background check .

8. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Getting a hazmat endorsement on your CDL does require a TSA background check. The process can take 30 days or so, depending on all kinds of things. As the previous poster said, there is an application form, fingerprinting, and of course, the ever-present fee to TSA. And you will have to redo this each time you renew your CDL.

9. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Light Load Member

May 2, 2011
    Bridgeville, DE
    Pull forward TOWARDS the side you need room on.

Germangirl Thanks this.
  10. mydognick

mydognick Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2011
    warner runs electronic logs and track you thru gps. if you listen to everybody it will confuse you. companies now have skin in the game with csa scores its much more tame than it ever was. you will have ups and downs with equipment and swear someones out to get you. relax you know if it has wheels or boobs there are going to be problems. 3years continous service and a clean driving record will get you a good company and 75,000 a year job, thats a fact. every day you get more valuable. you will learn more by doing it yourself. learn the truck you drive and get confident in your judgement,following distance will keep you out of a ton of problems just give yourself some room. also a dash cam is a valuable tool ,i run 2 of them on a 4gb card and they loop, very good evidence for jerks out there who want insurance money or false claims, 45.00 dollars apiece. the job gets easier as you go not harder, there will be trying times. my first 2 weeks on the road going 2 chicago,raining and lost fell into a WILL county sheriffs trap on weight posted bridge. 6,630.00 dollar ticket and a wife 7months along making 16 cents a mile, but it all worked out ticket dropped the wife dropped alls well again.

MtnTideRooster Thanks this.
  11. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    "$75K a year and thats a fact"? You shouldn't drink and drive buddy. After 3 yrs a very tiny, tiny percentage may approach that but its not common nor is it "a fact"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.