Most Important Questions From New Drivers Threads

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WiseOne, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Truckenstein

Truckenstein Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    Need some advice from a seasoned pro! I have about 4 years driving under my belt and I have tried working for 3 different mega carriers all to the same effect. Low miles equals low pay! I wanted to try and stick it out u know make the best of it with my present mega carrier but now 7 months in and it's the same old same ld stuff. This month my miles have dropped to average 1400 per week and yesterday they My truck broke down in the fuel island of a pilot. I called breakdown dept. Guy said have someone to u shortly so after 2 hours called back no answer waited another called back no answer ended up falling asleep got up at 5am called no answer waited 2.5 hours called the ops director was told that I am a liar I never spoke to breakdown b/c breakdown is closed 1000pm to 600am. She also stated that she knew I was lying b/c the bd person I talked to would never do that to a driver. I told her I would show her on my phone where I talked to him for 5 min. At 1028pm. Then she started playing the blame game it's your flat b/c....I would like to know should I just suck it up and deal with or move on. I would like to find a small company to work for but am afraid they will think I'm a job hopper. I really want to make the best go of it with current job are all the mega carriers like this. Thanks for any/all advice

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

I'm not a "seasoned pro," so maybe you won't take this advice and I don't mind that. I would say stick it out for the last 5 months to make one full year. Then you can take that full year to your next "good" job with confidence. Your past is made up of less-than-full-year employment (if I read what you wrote right) and that is a pattern you want to break. Develop a good relationship with your mega-carrier and I bet your miles increase. Don't worry about fault and all the crap you've taken. Minimize the negatives you have with your people--I know that it's very tough to do so--and your reputation will improve. Put yourself in their position and work your stuff from their angle.

I wish you well.

4. Truckenstein

Truckenstein Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    The thing is I don't know what else I can do for these folks. I have never been late on a load, never refused a load I had hours to run, always take relays to help out when I can or do local runs to help out. I always conduct myself in a professional manner. I am at a loss for what else I can do. It's not so much that had to sit for 10 hours but them not letting me know what's going on or giving me the heads up. The whole being called a liar really struck a chord with me especially when I have evidence. O well gonna try and make the best of it and your advice is appreciated. Thanks again!

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.