Most profitable tanker companies 4 owner operators

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by mikec265, Dec 8, 2012.

1. LunchMoney4

LunchMoney4 Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I appreciate the info you've provided. Seems like I have to keep looking for some tanker experience.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Just out of curiosity is the in transit heat a mandatory requirement?

4. Irishman 67

Irishman 67 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Tullahoma, Tn
    If your thinking of Miller out of Orangeburg you can call Don down there. There have been quite a few guys transferring out of Savannah to Orangeburg. Big D used to have a truck leased of with Miller before he started having some health issues and sold his truck and went to work in the office. He is the Orangeburg terminal manager. Freight base out of Orangeburg is pretty good. Not the best out of the company, but pretty good. Guys that I know out of Orangeburg seem pretty happy with what they are doing. Mostly just stay away from the terminals with company trucks. Mobile, Al, Memphis, Tn, El Dorado, Ar. and I personally would avoid Cincinnati, Oh, and Savannah, Ga.

5. Irishman 67

Irishman 67 Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Tullahoma, Tn
    At Miller having your truck set up to run intransit is a requirement.

Derailed Thanks this.
  6. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    A company policy but creates a problem so I refused ( and didn't lease on with several ) The carrier wants everybody to be able to pull everything which is good business BUT if you have intransit heat without an exchanger ( most don't have exchanger ) then you get all the trash in the coils from the last guy pulling the iron. You get his water, his rust and maybe his oil and his weak antifreeze diluting your system.

There is another issue with comingling different types of antifreeze too. The red, yellow and green still exist and generally don't like each other at the chemical composition level so it's not recommended to mix them. Sure this is long term thinking and the bigger picture but it is your money.

Besides, to me, I never saw enough revenue paid by the carrier to offset the downside. I was never offered any pay for the mandatory 2 hr check in or logging temps while in transit so why do it? All of them have company units, let them contaminate those tractors.

My rant......

Derailed and pathfinder1361 Thank this.
  7. sshewins

sshewins Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Never had an issue with cross contamination of one color antifreeze to another. I only ran it 4 times in a little over 2 years. I was gonna install a coolant filter to try to protect my engine, but I never did. The steam pan is stainless, so rust shouldn't be an issue. Being an owner operator, you have the right to refuse a load.

I think they now require a twic card and passport.

Scott

8. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    What's the going rate for in transit heat..?

9. sshewins

sshewins Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    I think it was around $20

Scott

10. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Kind of my thoughts on it as well. Just to much of an investment in your equipment to risk it for the return but that's just my opinion. Years ago when I was starting out I had a truck leased to Chemical Leaman. I installed the intransit heat, never did end up using it.

pathfinder1361 Thanks this.
  11. Rocketman007

Rocketman007 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Florence,sc
    Anyone of you guys know anything about the Sonoco account in Hartsville sc?Reason asking i live near there and seen the employment adds.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.