Most States Have 20k/Single Axle Weight Limits -- Why Is This So High?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Anon99, Aug 7, 2022.

1. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    My point is just about every state in the union gives you more than 80,000 on 5 axles.

AModelCat and baha Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Again, not true. In bridge states depending on axles spacings and distance between groups you can easily gross over 80k. A 52ft trailer with a 10ft spread will allow you to gross 86k in a bridge state on 5 axles. But to use the 20k single axle example, a 53ft van with the axles back and loaded heavy to the front would allow you to be heavy on your steer and gross over 80k.

D.Tibbitt and kranky1 Thank this.
  4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Even GA will with a permit let a 20ft containers gross 100,000 on 5 axles, we have permit for 5axle total pulling extension trailers at 100,000 year long permit, but you must have a truck that will last more than a week hauling that wt. every year we'll have guys bring on otr trucks and drive line things happen to them the 1st few loads unless the driver owns the truck and they can last a job or 2 before they get on the hook to get home or to forest park GA. junk yard?

5. kranky1

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Tha
    We have permits or exemptions for ridiculous weight by axle count for import/export containers here too. I think they have to be customs sealed and you only get one move on/off a port under exemption.

6. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    No... in a lot of states, you can legally run up to 86k or 90k on 5 axles, provided you don't exceed a tire or axle rating. I used to do it all the time. Perfectly legal as long as you stay off the interstate, and no permit required. With a permit, I would just follow their route. I only dropped the lift axle if my trailer tandems were going to be overweight. With my lift axle down, I could run about 95k. I could still run about 88k on five axles, but I would have to have the machine at EXACTLY the right spot. (I had my RGN marked for different size/weight configurations)

Attached Files:

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  7. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Your school was most likely teaching the STAA rules. Those are federal rules implemented to make interstate commerce run smoother.

If you want to do the deep dive here you go:
    FHWA - FAPG 23 CFR 658, Truck Size and Weight, Route Designations - Length, Width and Weight Limitations

Most interstates are now built to meet the STAA rules. Glaring example of non compliance with STAA is CA, which has an overall length limit of 65 feet on non STAA routes. They are also one of the reasons STAA truck rules were implemented, they were trying to force trucking companies to go back to using shorter trailers.

Typically you only see trucks that are purpose built with 20k steer axles. Those would primarily be heavy haul and dump trucks. Some smaller operations may order with an 13k to 20k if their operations requires and justifies the added cost. Most general interstate freight companies do not spend the money.

Individual states can do whatever they want as long as an STAA truck can travel on STAA routes.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  8. kranky1

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Our decks platforms and rails are covered in all kinds of surveyors paint and paint marker hieroglyphics from the guys marking where different #### goes. Me and a couple of my guys are old enough to remember loading on springs. Could save a lot of trips to the scale with a few marks when we couldn’t just air everything up and check gauges. The younger ones picked up on it and now everything looks like the graffiti artists have been at it.

W923 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The last outift I did open deck for has a wrecker with a lift axle and a tandem steer.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    A construction company I did dump work for specced their tandem 14 yards with 18K steers and 44K drives. MD allowed 65K gross on tandem dumps back, and loaded to that grossed always overloaded the drives by about 8K or so and a 16K front end would’ve been plenty.

ZVar Thanks this.
  11. kranky1

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    The twin-steer rigid frames I see now with the wildest lift axle collections under them are the bigger concrete pumps and those bridge inspection platform thingys. Twin-steer tri-drive with a lift axle wherever one will fit it seems like.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.