Motive Cancelled

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Lite bug, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Last year I called motive to cancel the ELD around this time I received a bill for 2024 I called again to cancel I ask them about sending the cable and box back and they never responded. I walk in the door today and my wife said motive took fees for this year. Anyone have a similar situation with motive?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Do a chargeback on your credit card..simple.

I don’t know what Motive is but I did a chargeback once when I cancelled Keep Trucking.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  4. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Motive purchased Keep Trucking, thank you sir.

Concorde Thanks this.
  5. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Fwiw, I’m canceling Big Road/Fleet Complete in a few months when my three year contract is up. I’m not going to screw around with them, they’ll get one notice (documented) from me and I will have my business credit card number changed so they won’t get a dime.

They all make it extremely difficult to cancel so don’t mess around..

Also, just a tidbit of information. Read all contracts before agreeing because some have a no disparagement policy..Big Road does.

Would they enforce it..probably not unless it’s a youboob video gone viral or something similar.

6. Concorde

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Yah, they almost drove me insane trying to get refunded. Then one night I said f this and did the chargeback. Couple weeks later after their “investigation” money was back in my account.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. FreightyAK

FreightyAK Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2018
    AK
    Family owned out of West Virginia. They make their own hardware and I get to keep it. Im done with the big corporations.
    Blue Ink Tech

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. Alli1234

Alli1234 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2024
    It’s illegal what they’re doing, and they’ve been doing it along time. There are consumer laws in California where they are based and many other states that prohibit them from legally auto renewing annual contracts without sending the proper notice 60 days in advance. I’ve already contacted a lawyer and ooida and there will likely be a huge class action lawsuit if they take this on. I refuse to pay any cancelation fees for an annual contract I never signed and that was renewed illegally. This is a big deal and you will likely be hearing about it down the road. Please look up these laws and spread the word. “Dear Go Motive formerly known as KeepTruckin. I have just gone through the entire history of correspondence with KeepTruckin back to the beginning of our company. There has never been any auto renew contract signed. Nor has there been any notice sent pertinent to California or Utah laws renewing an annual contract in which a company trying to renew an annual contract automatically must follow certain procedures including sending a document with a front page showing the intent to renew and a way to cancel at least 30-60 days before the auto renewal takes place.”
    Amendments to California's Automatic Renewal Law took effect on July 1, 2022. In addition to existing requirements, businesses now must provide a notice before a trial period ends that tells the consumer the term will automatically renew and how to cancel.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  9. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Does your contract with Motive have the same language that is found in section 8.1 of the terms of service on their website, here Terms of Service ? Have they sent you text messages or made auto dialed calls to you? Section 2.3 has some language about "consent" to contact you and instruction on how to unsubscribe (opt-out) that could be total hogwash.

The termination of the service or subscription, if the language in your particular terms of service says what it does at the page linked above, that is the argument they will make, that you did not terminate it according to the terms of service you agreed to. It will piss you off, of course, but that is about the language they will use.

Consumer laws are for just that, consumers. If California law defines a consumer as a business with x amount or less in financial assets, then you might meet the definition of a consumer. Not trying to bust anyone's bubble or rain on their parade, just saying that all depends on specifically how California law defines a consumer. If California law doesn't include business in its definition of "consumer", then arguing anything relative to consumer protection law could be moot. There is always arguments you could make, just they may not really stick.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    There is binding arbitration in their contract that appears to be silent on who pays the fees for initiating arbitration. Use that to your advantage. I have gotten credit card debts waived (not talking a couple hundred bucks either) by using the binding arbitration against the company.

11. Alli1234

Alli1234 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2024
    I don’t think you’re hearing what I’m saying. Almost all states have the new law as of July 22, Utah joined in 24 and many others had the law prior. It’s not where the consumer is based that is my point. Go motive is based in California. They’re breaking the law there and then also for the consumers throughout the nation. It simply doesn’t matter what they post on their website. They have to send out to each and every customer annual a paper document, or at least an email in which the cover page shows the notice of the intent to renew the annual contract along with a way to cancel, and this must be sent at least 30-60 days before the renewal date. Mark my words they’re breaking the law(s) and you’ll be seeing a class action lawsuit in the coming years.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.