Motor home run off roadway into parked tractor trailer

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by frankhaas, Feb 29, 2020.

1. frankhaas

frankhaas Bobtail Member

Feb 29, 2020
    I'm getting a dash cam..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. frankhaas

frankhaas Bobtail Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Crete was infront of me and to the side of me. His dash came would show nothing.

4. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Sounds like TWO wreckless drivers on i25 near Trinidad that day.
    Lots of lousy choices and inattention by multiple parties.

86scotty, Deere hunter, skellr and 5 others Thank this.
  5. stwik

stwik Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2017
    USA USA USA!!!
    takes two to dance.

not gonna find much sympathy on here.

dunchues, Swine hauler, Bud A. and 3 others Thank this.
  6. frankhaas

frankhaas Bobtail Member

Feb 29, 2020

7. frankhaas

frankhaas Bobtail Member

Feb 29, 2020
    Infosaur - I was going 75 and Crete was going slower. I changed lanes to pass Crete. Crete changed lanes into me, I hit brakes to avoid collision, moved back into right lane to avoid collision and that is when I saw the trailer parked. 26 years of driving a motor home..

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  8. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Time to hang it up. You nearly got yourself and others killed.

You're driving along at 75 mph in a motorhome and you think you own the road. I've had many people like you just blow past me like you are masters of all you survey.

Here's something to consider: the rear end of a truck trailer is reinforced steel and aluminum. If you plow into the rear of a truck trailer, it'll be the last mistake of your 26 years of driving a motorhome.

The Crete driver changed lanes in order to give the vehicle on the shoulder more room. Something you apparently aren't accustomed to. But it's the law. Granted, the Crete driver should not have moved to cut you off, but your vain attempt in to pass the moving tractor trailer caused a dangerous situation. Still upset, this has caused you to post here seeking some sort of justice.

I'll wager that if CSP saw your maneuver, you would have been cited.

Personally, I envy those old guys in big motorhomes going to and fro' seemingly without a care in the world.

So, what's your hurry?

TokyoJoe, not4hire, dunchues and 7 others Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    75 mph? In a motorhome? Why?

Troy_, Smut, not4hire and 12 others Thank this.
  10. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    If you were in the right lane then you obviously should have seen the stopped tractor trailer on the side of the road almost a mile in advance. It's tall, 13'6" , and wide- 8'6" . Should not have been easy to miss. If you did shame on you.

If you did see it and your plan was to put 2 commercial vehicles and a motor home all side by side , with only two travel lanes, and you going 75mphthethen shame on you.......not very courteous.........and down right dangerous.

But I've seen it before, and developed a plan for guys like you. I pull my 4 ways on, move over and straddle the dotted line, making sure no one can pass me on either side. Any inattentive drivers usually wake right up and start looking around for the source and reason for my maneuver. Most cops and tow truck/service truck operators give me a grin and a thumbs up when they notice what I have done.

And finally, traveling at 110 feet per second in a motor home should scare the crap out of any one that has an even rudimentary understanding of physics.

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Aren't the tires on motorhomes rated for a certain maximum speed? Travel trailer tires are but I'm not sure about motorhomes.
    I think the rest of the guys in this post nailed it. The motorhome driver was reckless and used very poor judgement.
    If he wants to travel I'd suggest Amtrak.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.