Mounting generator/ exhausting the fumes?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Sep 16, 2021.

1. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I would think 10 feet in the air would be high enough. The Honda generator that I run, an EG2800i, also has a CO detector built in. If the CO around the unit gets too high, it will shut itself off.

I use Espar heater exhaust flex pipe and 3/4" conduit to route the exhaust from mine up in the air. Plan to replace the Espar pipe at least once a year. It cracks if you let it go any longer than that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    It always made me wonder why a person couldn't plumb the exhaust into the truck exhaust pipe, up close to the top of the stack. Yes I realize there's pressure in the truck exhaust when you're driving, but if you'd put it up near the end of the stack, what harm would that do?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Gen-Turi Generator Exhaust Venting System

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Same here, I though about running it inside the stack, up to the top. I wonder if it’s plumbed in lower, with a T and just goes into the stack, if the Trucks exhaust would cause it to block the generator exhaust, like it’s plugged. But if using generator, chances are the engines off. Wouldn’t matter at all the .

6. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Mine is mounted just behind the landing gear on trailer, It also has C02 protection. Whether someone noses in or backs in it isn’t close to where they would suck fumes in. I also have a C02 alarm and I can set it right next to this Gen and it won’t go off. It dissipates quickly in open air. It is also as quiet or quieter than any APU I have heard. In another month or so I may swap it with my little 2200 watt Yamaha as all I will use it for then is a tiny space heater.
    I also look for more open places to park up.

on a side note, C02 detectors are so inexpensive I don’t know why people would not have one in their truck.

also just think @Dino soar if you had a long wheelbase truck you could put it far back on catwalk… lolol just messing with you dude.

AE7F8EF0-AEBB-4D98-81F7-C05D1D64FB33.jpeg

7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I had thought of doing this as well

How do you run the wiring? Ground gen to trailer and do dual pole plug up to truck?

Also, direct battery charge or you only use the 110 ac when its running?

Having a hard time figuring out a good 12v charger that will push enough amps to charge my 12 v battery bank while truck is off

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  8. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Here's how I did mine. I'm actually making a slight change to it, but the venturi and stack will remain.
    20201028_142755.jpg

9. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    No i changed over to this system a couple years ago. This little generator will run this little ac unit for 10 hours on 1 gallon of gas. The other system was 3 gallons a night and 2x the weight. This ac unit works better than the stand up unit too. Very quit too. 796194D3-6E9C-437D-A351-B41CCF65CD85.jpeg 3D2A0384-1102-40C1-BF4B-16336EBD3ABC.jpeg I have since added baffling and a 12v fan to increase the efficiency of the ac unit.

10. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama

I'd be worried about wind blowing the fumes back down the pipe under the cab. It doesn't take much generator exhaust at all under the cab to make my detector show a reading. A guy running a generator three trucks away from me, on the ground, caused a reading of over 40 ppm.

In addition, if it's a pollution control motor, the exhaust from the generator could poison the SCR.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    You need an inverter/charger with shorepower pass through. I use a Xantrex HFS-2055 which has a built-in 55 amp charger. It runs off the battery bank until the generator starts, then charges the batteries and passes the 110 from the generator to the truck outlets. Not sure if it's available anymore but you could get them for about $800 when new. Most of the more professional units are $1500ish.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.