Move west young man.....(a little long)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by FredZeppelin77, Dec 29, 2019.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Both

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    www.apartments.com - is for houses, apartments, condo, townhome.
    @snowwy - that website lets you break it down to what you're looking for; town/ zip code, number of bedrooms/ baths, price range. This keep you from having to look at all the other stuff you're not interested in.
    For buying, I used:
    www.zillow.com
    www.redfin.com
    (had the best experience with Zillow, but looked at both)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Grocery store shopping carts are good for storage.

5. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Cheap rents, more freedom= less pay, less work available.
    More work available, higher pay= exorbitant rents, up to your neck in dumb laws, and tech bros getting in the way. Just can't win in this crazy game.

6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    You want cheap rent, here you go.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You really improve your odds by getting out of debt and then doing the opposite of most people or doing what most people do, but at the opposite time. Save your money in good times and buy during recessions.

If your house and car are paid for your job only needs to pay for groceries and utilities plus taxes.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  8. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Having recently transferred my CDL from TX to NV, I do stay on top of two things in my search for affordable housing and jobs in Reno and Vegas, still being unsure which market I will settle down in permanently.

The method is simple.. Using Craigslist to watch both markets, housing and jobs. Whoever said @Chinatown is somehow exaggerating how swell it is to live in Nevada for tax and other reasons is not seeing the whole picture.. Pay and rents are changing so fast nationwide. What you believed Vegas or Reno or ? to be a year or two ago could be completely out of date now. Let me emphasize, anywhere WORTH LIVING, is having a "Crisis". It is in all the papers, and people are talking about it like the weather for conversation.

Looking at three markets, Greater Reno, Vegas, and Dallas.. Considering taxes or lack thereof, especially the absurdly high property taxes in Tejas.. Vegas wins hands down. Far as a ratio for Driver pay to expected rents or housing costs. Beats Phoenix too. Avg. single family housing price is over 400k now in Reno, Vegas is much less. Dallas jobs suck, they have not adjusted for housing inflation. Too much foreign labor, like Phoenix

dwells40, FredZeppelin77 and Chinatown Thank this.
  9. FredZeppelin77

FredZeppelin77 Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Floridian panhandler
    Pardon my ignorance: For a tanker yanker like me who hasn't driven since late July to get a LTL job, especially in a new State and region-what would he need to do? (obviously Doubles and triples)--no problem

I'm thinking they wouldn't even bother with my app, seeing as I am domiciled/ living in FL-
    But, my approach would probably need to start with a phone call?

Researching the forums, the general consensus is to move 1st and then find work. I'm willing to accept that- its life. This sounds kind of crazy, but the company that I'm selling my home through offers a "trade in" program- with markets in the cities I mentioned in post one, including Vegas. Kind of like trading in a car- However, of course they need proof of income, but have told me that an offer letter would work. This concept blew me away, but that's the time we live in I guess.

I'm thinking it's probably too many things that would need to come together at once to become a reality.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @FredZeppelin77
    Contact the LTL companies by Email or online application and let them know your're moving very soon and would like to work there. Say, you will change your cdl as soon as you arrive. You'll have to renew your hazmat endorsement, but everything else will transfer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.