Moving claim

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by intrepidor, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Scooter70

Scooter70 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Doesn’t work that way. COD unless a National Account

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter70

Scooter70 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2018
    There are a lot of fly by nights in the Household Industry.
    If you cannot get the carrier, to call you back, try the BBB, or the FMCSA.

Very sorry. I’ve been a mover for 32 years. I will try to help you

4. intrepidor

intrepidor Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2017
    Western Iowa
    Thank you. I've written to the BBB, now I will.go to the FMCSA. This guy has 10 trucks but he delivered in a uhaul. I never had a contract with him. Ive looked him up on Yelp sincenthis happened and the comments are similiar to my issue.

5. Scooter70

Scooter70 Bobtail Member

Jan 15, 2018
    It’s a non professional mover. It’s going to be very hard to catch this guy. If he is out of Az, sometimes contacting the States Attorneys office can also help.
    I’m very sorry again. I take great pride in my job.
    You may be able to #### him down because he probably does not even have a DOT number.

These rogue movers, rent trucks to avoid regulations. Our side of the Industry is plagued with these guys

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Unfortunately that money is likely gone....
    You can forget the BBB. If they are that bad a company they don't care what that review company (and that's all the BBB is) says.
    FMCSA only deals in mover fraud. I.e. quoting one price and charging more... You can try though. Damage is not something I found on their website.
    Do you have the companies insurance company name? That's likely your best option.
    Otherwise there is the court system, but for $600 you'll spend more even in small claims court.

You said you never contracted with them? I take it who you did contract with handed it to a subcontractor? If that's the case, you might be able to go with the original movers insurance....

7. Sharky88

Sharky88 Heavy Load Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Sorry to say it but.... You get what you pay for. You went cheap instead of a using a reputable moving company.

Bakerman Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    THAT is not a mover.

To be honest, nothing in my place is worth 1800 in terms of furniture. A bed set and a chair would be about roughly 700 or so and the television another 130 the only thing that would be moved with me is the clothes, the computers and some hobby stuff. Everything else would not go.

Even moving from the sold house did not take more than a couple of carloads if that for everything.

We have always been light and ready to roll since our trucking days. There is freedom in that ability. Not bogged down with so much... stuff.

I DO hope that you will recover your damages eventually. But that mover using a Uhaul instead of one of his trucks... that might have cost him what? 100 a day? All else is profit to him. No wonder.

9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Uhaul $100 lol. He probably spent all the money on Uhaul and kept $100 as a profit.

10. mtoo

mtoo Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Retired on bended knee
    We've all learned hard lessons in life. Sorry to say it was your turn. Don't let it happen again. Good luck.

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Furniture is deceptive. Most people think it gets loaded by crew "A" and driven there and unloaded by crew "A". However, it can be "subbed" to another carrier or unloaded into a warehouse then reloaded to another truck and delivered. The more it's handled, the more chance it has to be damaged. You do pay BEFORE it's unloaded, that's the norm. Then file a claim if damaged.

Scooter70 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.