Moving Company Life

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Touch Freight Freddy, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Touch Freight Freddy

Touch Freight Freddy Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2021
    Thought I've been mulling about since switching from box truck moving company to van line... @Sharky88 and anyone else, please share your insight.

Why do you see ABF, YRC, OD etc using pups and doubles but not United, Allied, or Atlas?

It's pretty common for a 53-footer to not fit in a neighborhood, storage unit facility, or apartment complex, and yet this is what we are commanded to do on a daily basis.

When tight maneuvering fails and blocking a street is illegal, what do we fall on? Ye olde shuttle. Unload from a tractor-trailer parked down the road from the destination into a UHaul or some other such critter, then scoot on down to the shipper's house to unload again.

It's a tedious hassle and could be bypassed 9/10 times if a pup trailer was on hand. I mean, if UPack services make it work, why not van lines?

Summary of advantages:

-Reduces need for shuttles
    -Potentially easier separation of multiple shippers' belongings
    -Could drop one trailer for a whole trip, if you knew the load(s) were small enough.

Cons:
    -Requires doubles endorsement and experience
    -???

Attached Files:

kylefitzy, austinmike and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I’ve moved about 16 times in my life. Most damage I’ve gotten is maybe a dresser scratched and a grill wheels broken.

not that hard to rent a truck and load things inside. Never paid a mover and never will.

next time I move I’m just taking my kids, guns, important files, cloths and cars. Everything else gets replaced.

tired of the boxes and the stories of unscrupulous movers.

4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Because they have thousands upon thousands of those trailers, and thousands of drivers across the Country. They can drop one of those pups anywhere, let the customer load it, pick it up and deliver it anywhere for the customer to unload. Lather, rinse, repeat

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  5. Touch Freight Freddy

Nov 12, 2021
    The big van lines also have thousands of drivers and trucks across the country.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  6. Touch Freight Freddy

Nov 12, 2021
    @LoneRanger I'm the same way with my stuff, but my customers have their reasons for hiring us.

Gun safes and pianos going upstairs, old folks with bum kids who won't help, families moving from one mansion to another with 500 lb china cabinets, armoirs in the 3rd floor bedroom, and 1000 lb hot tubs are just a few examples.

austinmike Thanks this.
  7. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Thet don't have the giant fleet of pups and the giant networks the LTL companies do. We were talking specifically about the companies that will drop a 28' trailer at your house. Similar to the "PODS" Thing. You load it, they move it, you unload it.

8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

Only in my retirement home will I ever have any of that crap.

until then it gets sold with the house.

austinmike Thanks this.
  9. Touch Freight Freddy

Nov 12, 2021
    Right, so my question was, why don't van line agents do that?

Another advantage to using doubles in household: driveways. 90% of the time 53-footers have to be loaded/unloaded from the street, even if they fit in the neighborhood. If you could drop a trailer, pull a pup to the doorstep, load or unload, then repeat, it would save a lot on labor costs.

In that sense, having pups available seems even more appropriate for van lines than UPack, since with the latter the driver just waits for the customer/third party to do all the work on their own time and dime.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  10. Touch Freight Freddy

Nov 12, 2021
    Lol this is a bit like going on a thread about driving reefer and saying, "I like to grow my own vegetables, thanks!"

I've heard before that movers are the black sheep of the trucking world. These kinds of reactions validate that completely.

People will always move, they can't always do it on their own, and so until robots replace all human functions there will continue to be a market for professional movers, as much as you may despise our existence.

Can anyone explain this mysterious enmity against movers? Bad customer experiences or scam companies can happen in any industry.

austinmike Thanks this.
  11. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Honestly after 20 yrs in the Biz as a mover I feel the toll on the body at 35 -40 yrs of age isn't worth it . Made good money had 4 trucks running at one point but the street of idiot movers and customers as well as the physical toll wasn't worth it . My moving buddies I tell them to find new careers and get a cdl with no physical labor after 40 , ever see old movers ? Its a sad site .

Touch Freight Freddy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.