Moving Company Life

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Touch Freight Freddy, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Touch Freight Freddy

Touch Freight Freddy Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2021
    Yep, met many movers in their 60s with 20+ years experience. I don't plan on doing it that long, I'll be 29 on Friday so I've got some time.

In the meantime I do a lot of prehab/rehab exercises for my knees in the gym. Most people just grind their joints and hope they wear out slow enough to retire on sheer luck alone.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    You’ve never seen stories of families getting a quote and a company comes and loads up all their stuff , then doesn’t show up on the promised date and demands twice or three times as much $$ to deliver the stuff ?

they do it all the time . It’s the classic bait and switch , except they now have all your worldly possessions and you have no idea what warehouse they have them hidden in .

The are brave though , I will give them that .
    Seems like the odds of someone paying the extra money, then right after the last item is moved onto the living room ,
    The people who just got ripped off , might just shove the driver and his helpers down the basement stairs or drop a bowling ball on his kneecap or something.

striker and Dockbumper Thank this.
  4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Biggest scumbags in the Trucking industry. That is a tough title to live up to! Lol

striker Thanks this.
  5. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Moving companies come in two types, hard working go getters, and lazy SOB's, I deal with both on a regular basis, I keep a list of the bedbuggers that will knock out a live unload/load as fast as can be, and the one's that are slower than molasses. I've seen a 4-man crew live unload a 40' can in 45 minutes, and I've seen a 6 man crew take 5 hours

6. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Allied and Mayflower, in the late 90's early '00's were using their own private 28' and 40' containers for cross country moves, they got away from it for unknown reasons.

7. Touch Freight Freddy

Nov 12, 2021
    Of course I've heard of such scams, but I've never worked for a company like that.

Y'all know that what you're describing is illegal, right? This is like talking about gun stores and then complaining that gun dealers are all crooks because the black market exists.

reeferwrencher Thanks this.
  8. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    BTW, if you want to see pride in HHG industry, look at a container that has arrived from overseas. Probably 95% of the HHG loads I see coming from other parts of the world, the stuff is packed better, protected (boxed, wrapped, crated, etc.) better, stacked better and looks more professional. Whereas a lot the stuff I see loaded here is haphazardly tossed in a container, with a lot of stuff not wrapped or boxed that should be. We had a 45' can come in from Europe a few months back, Germany to Grand Junction, Co., guy was a geologist, he'd spent the last 5 yrs in Germany, was now fully retired and coming home. 98% of the contents of that container was wrapped, padded, and/or boxed. Initial crew assigned to the job was 4 guys, the lead called in and asked for 2 more, they unloaded the entire container to the driveway and garage for a numbers check, before unpacking began, I did the numbers match for them, that container was loaded like a giant jigsaw puzzle, and packed tight. I think there was 3 items on the damage claim, whereas I've seen HHG exports come back with dozens of damage claims because it's just thrown together.

9. striker

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    And what is being described is the norm, not the exception

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  10. Touch Freight Freddy

Nov 12, 2021
    I've worked at 6 Two Men franchises, a United agent for a brief stint, now an Atlas agent. Never been part of such a scheme, nor heard of coworkers doing so.

If that is the norm, people are suckers for not hiring legal moving companies and I don't feel sorry for them.

kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  11. Touch Freight Freddy

Nov 12, 2021
    I've noticed the same thing about international moves. Unloaded shipments from Japan, Poland, Germany, and Greece and noticed a similar pattern.

On another note:

I recently took lead on inventory for the first time since leaving Two Men (which had very lax standards by comparison).

I found documenting each item with all the location and damage codes to be extremely tedious and time-consuming... The shipper was a moderate hoarder and his junk was old and filthy, plus he kept changing his mind on what would or wouldn't go. So there were some factors stacked against me, but I still felt like I should have been able to knock it out faster.

Anyone have advice, or does speed just come with time in this department?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.