Moving OOS trailer to shop

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, May 22, 2022.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The reason a tow truck is allowed to tow an OOS trailer is because it’s reasonable to believe the tow truck will take it straight to a shop and the shop won’t release it until it’s repaired.

wore out, Dave_in_AZ, CAXPT and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Everyone seems to be missing that the driver/company is saying the trailer is out of service. NOT the DOT putting the trailer out of service. That’s a big difference legally.

If they can scale what ever load on one axle, they can pull the wheels, chain that axle up. I would also pull the service line off that axle but it’s probably not needed.

If the trailer repair shop was close and the trailer empty, I’d pull the service lines on that axle, wire up the loose parts and get to the shop. But that’s just me.

This is also an issue that could probably be fixed right there on the spot with a competent road mechanic.

Feedman, CAXPT, mtoo and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Ok I thought it was DOT OOS. However if he's stopped and inspected the axle that is chained up will be part of the inspection...thats what id be worried about.

Your right @kylefitzy Id do the same to move the trailer to a competent shop.

6. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    Company had it towed. The shop we took it to was less than five miles away and all they did was hookup and go. Better safe than sorry. It was over $400. If something not even our fault was to happen my license would be in jeopardy.
    It was the slack adjusters retaining pins not put on correctly but it looks like it was another mechanic not to FlyingJ.

Had a couple of tires cuping and they finally have a spot low enough to be questionable and one has belt showing. These two are on the inside but I'm still pissed I missed them. The rest of the tread is 12/32 or better so the cuped part could of been on the bottom, but still. I hate missing things. Gotta do better.

Feedman, gentleroger, CAXPT and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    You did the right thing, Sir.
    And you learned that you can do better on pre-trips.
    It'll save you more grief and pain down the road.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  8. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Don't beat yourself up too bad about the tires. Even if you inspect, as has been mentioned, something mechanical gone wrong, like you had, could have caused the issue. I had a front tire, that hit a hole bad...stopped, checked it...looked fine. 4 hours later pulled into a weigh station and the tire was down to threading on the outside. I thanked the DOT for finding that for me, and went to the TA and had it done. The mechanical condition occurred with no reason to suspect something worse was going on...but if they hadn't stopped me in the station, that tire could have blown and I'd have been screwed. I don't miss much, but as has been mentioned, something happening real time is something you can't predict and when it goes, it doesn't take long to go catastrophically, which is what might have happened to the tires with the damage the brakes being screwed did. Just try better is all you can do. :) Surviving is the first order of business. :)

9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I have chained a spring ride hopper up at the West Memphis Arkansas scales for a driver that was put OOS for brake issues on that wheel position and they let him leave with it. He was empty of course. Whether it’s DOT OOS or just deemed so by driver taking that wheel position off the ground removes the OOS condition. As long as there are still enough tires on the ground to keep the weight legal. Once repaired the inspection form will have to be signed off on by the company and mailed back.

Dave_in_AZ, Feedman, CAXPT and 7 others Thank this.
  10. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    Done the same in Van Buren. Legal weight, chain and go.

11. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Show intemd to repair, and insurance. They have way more insurance in place than most companies ever will.

I would carefully try to repair on site if I owned it. However I have seen scams wear into hubs from this. If damage is severe, I'm heading to shop.

As other said. Chain up.

CAXPT and Another Canadian driver Thank this.
  12. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I'm back in UT for the delivery on Thursday.
    New slack adjusters and a break spring fixed.
    1 tire had to be replaced, 1 was borderline and 2 were not quite there yet so I was waiting to get the home shop to do them.
    Dispatch just had four new tires put on. She said she preferred to play it safe.

My dispatch offered to put me in a hotel for the weekend but I declined since I wanted to be there and ready for the tow on Monday morning. But she offered.
    She just today informed me that they would be putting about $450 on my next check for break down pay. Remember this delay didn't affect the load, only my extra days off to kick back.
    This is how you keep drivers. Treat them as valuable team members.
    The only way I'll leave this company is for a six plus figure job.

Go Trucking
    Pocatello ID

Ask me anything about them and I'll be glad to answer. I'll give you everything I know but I can't do references because I think they'd give me a small referral bonus and that's against TTR policy for good reasons.

I'm very happy with the way they handled a bad week.

13. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The amount of effort involved in just pulling the wheels and chaining the axle isn't much less than just fixing the issue right there & now.

• Truckers Report Jobs