MPG

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by TheRipper, Mar 1, 2017.

1. TheRipper

TheRipper Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Okay, I know this has been debated a thousand times..but here we go again.

Post is spefically to owner ops or lease guys with some skin in the game as far as fuel goes.

So I run an 09 international Cummins with 10 speed. Truck is governed at about 71.

I had a few perfect loads going to the same place over the course of the last month to figure out fuel mileage. Running from Phoenix to Houston straight down i10.

Load going out, 42500 in the box, load coming back 24000 in the box. Ran for 3 weeks.

First week, ran at governed speed and pretty hard up the slight hills. 5.52mpg going out, 6.1mpg coming back.

Second week, ran at 66, and a little easier going up. 6.36mpg going out, 7.02mpg coming back.

Third week, ran at 62, and was patient with upgrades. 7.18 going out, 7.96 coming back.

Used 415 gals first trip, 360 second trip, 318 last trip.

Save 100 gallons over 2400 miles. $225-$250. Multiply that by 52 weeks. $11700 - $13000.

I don't understand why I see guys going 70-75mph all day long. And idling at night is a whole different story. 8 gallons at night x 5 days a week x 52 weeks. 2080 gallons x 2.25-2.50 = $4680 - $5200.

With so many oo's going out of business, I wonder if they've even thought about this....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    If you have dedicated freight, that's why.
    Everyone knows going slower will save some fuel, but they're still stuck in the mindset of gogogo. To an extent, I agree with them, because the sooner you're empty, the sooner you can get reloaded with another paycheck. But, at some point, you go from stepping over dimes to pick up dollars, to stepping over quarters to pick up dollars.

4. TheRipper

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, I understand that. But I'd venture to say most guys could still complete their same runs going 5-10mph slower.

Maybe I'm wrong....

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Lots of drivers will argue with a fence post that they get better fuel mileage running 72 then they do at 62. Just forget about that group. They are making so much money, they don't care about a higher fuel bill.

But we all have different compromise points regarding the speed:cost aspect of trucking

6. TheRipper

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, but to make 10k -15k more in a year, you'd think more guys would be on board with the idea of slowing down.

And that doesn't even include increased maintenence costs from running faster/harder.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    One argument would be higher maintanance from going slower. It takes you longer to get there. So the engine is running longer. Regardless, you're going to wear and tear the truck.

You've figured out the math in fuel savings. And you pointed out less loads. Now figure out the math in less loads.

I figure one less load a week. At roughly $1000. X 52 weeks. Is $52,000 in lost revenue. Just to save roughly $12,000 in fuel. That's a difference of $40,000.

Course, that also depends on the operation.

Imagine being a local o/o. Getting paid by the load. Doing the same run every day. And being home every night. Does he want to run slower and do only 3 loads or faster and get 4 loads.

I run 2 loads up north. And don't have the most powerful truck in the fleet. I don't pay the fuel but if i did. Do i want to be home in 11 hours or 12 hours?

Everyone knows running slower saves fuel and money. But the bigger picture is slower costs money also. If you can run faster and make more money. That far exceeds the logic of running slower to save money.

8. TheRipper

Oct 27, 2015
    Tucson, AZ
    Okay, not to be rude. But that logic is just inherently flawed.

Going slower or driving easier causes more wear and tear on truck. Never heard that one.

2400 mile round trip Houston to Phoenix and back. Takes 40 hours at 60 mph. Takes 34 1/2 hours at 70mph. 5 1/2 hour difference. No way to make an extra load a week.

As far as local oo. We'll just imagine he does a 600 mile roundtrip to get home each night. At 60mph it takes 10 hours. At 70 it takes 8 3/4 hours. So the difference is he gets home at 6:15 instead of 5:00.

I presume that flawed logic like this has put thousands of oo out of business over the years...

No rudeness meant...

Protein Hauler and fargonaz Thank this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Lots of guys schedule oil and/or filter changes around gallons of diesel burned, which makes sense to me.

Tonythetruckerdude and rank Thank this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    If you have a boost gauge try this one ....
    Set your cruise at 60, use foot at about 40% power or so and let your speed vary a little bit with whatever small changes in terrain but don't exceed a high limit of say 75.. keep boost below 10 psi unless you hit low speed where cruise will give it so you maintain at least 60... I bet you can do even better in both mpg and time ...

Oh and btw I will burn my fuel however I darn well please :angel4:

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You're engine is running longer to complete the trip.
    Example. Missoula to boise. Stay on the freeway, go through pocatello. Trip is 600 miles and takes 10 hours.
    Take the shorter route. Through the mountains. 450 miles but takes 15 hours. You're engine ran 5 hours longer for the same trip. Average speed on the freeway was 70. Average speed through the mountains was 40.

So which trip had the most wear and tear? You went slower through the mountains.

It's no secret that running the engine is wear and tear. So how is it flawed logic? Your engine is running longer.

Albuquerque to Phoenix is another fine example. Longer and faster to stay on the freeway through flagstaff then any of the shortcuts through the grand canyon.

The engine is going to get worn. Regardless of speed. Question is how much monye will it make getting worn.

But if you have a test results chart showing mileage wear per speed. Let's see it. I think we'd all be interested. Engine, Transmission, and rear ends.

BTW. Being a western regional driver mostly. I"ve done those 2 trips a few times.

And to add. You're probably dropped a gear going 10 mph slower. Your engine speed is roughly the same. Roughly.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    DoneYourWay and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.