Mt. St. Helens Quakes w/Steam Explosion

Discussion in 'Other News' started by WiseOne, Jan 17, 2008.

1. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    Read More Here >> Fox News

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    St Helen's is going to blow again, soon. I've been watching the small quakes around there for weeks... they are also happening on the fault line that is connected to St. Helen's.

Unlike the California quakes, when small ones have little meaning, and relative silence means trouble. Small rumblings off St. Helen's will go on for a few weeks or months, and then it will go silent for about a week before it blows...

California is constantly releasing stress on it's fault lines.. the small quakes are just that, stress release. When California fault lines go silent, the stress is building. And the longer it goes, the bigger the quake that is required to release the built up stress on that line... The San Francisco quake of 1906, the quake in the bay area in 1989, and the Northridge Quake of 1994 were all preceded by several weeks of siesmological calm...

Did you know that there are nearly 200 falut lines in California?

4. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
    didnt know that, but i dont know how true it is, but i herd that California could detach itself sooner or later because of all the fault lines

5. GuysLady

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    In all truth, California COULD in theory disconnect from the rest of the contiguous US. The fact is, there is a fault line that runs from south to north along the area of the 395... however, if it split on that line, not all of California would disconnect. There would still be vast areas that would be left connected. But the vast majority would not be. That line has been mostly inactive for over 200 years. I say "mostly" because there was a major earthquake on that line about 10 years ago that measured 7.9 and was centered at Hector Mine. Since the epicenter was in a very rural area, there were little damages, no injuries, and *only* 2 killed.

6. GuysLady

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    Please note that I wrote "only" the way I did because I roll my eyes and sigh every time I hear that in reference to those who were killed. Any loss of life in such circumstances is senseless.

7. zenix

zenix Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Oregon
    i doubt its do anything more then blow some ash out like it did a few years ago. i think its just rumbling a bit as it rebuilds itself.

8. junior740

junior740 Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Mt. Perry, OHIO
    just as a bit of knowledge for everyone, california will never in fact break off into the pacific ocean. what is going on in that sliver of california is that it sits on a plate that is shifting *very slowly* northbound. in a short couple hundred million years, Los Angeles is going to neighbor Oakland as San Fransisco is doing today.

most people make it sound like that sliver will break off like a piece of a cookie and sink into the glass of milk that is the Pacific Ocean. this is simply not likely...
    on the other hand; it sure does make me want to go get some oreo double stuffs and a nice glass of milk.

MMMmmmmm Cookies

9. GuysLady

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    No, it wouldn't actually sink into the ocean.. but it could, in theory, break off.

10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

With all of the air heads and hot air there?????

11. GuysLady

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    Hot air RISES; it CAN'T sink! LOL!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.