Muck Boots 'n' Slickers - Life of a Livestock Hauler

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cattleman84, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    DOT says fish is livestock, so I can join, right?

my boots are waders, and unloading is a matter of pulling the cam gate and letting the water / fish out. Which can be refreshing, especially at -30 in Calgary.

Loading can be routine, like pulling alongside a raceway, and pulling under the dewaterer and turning the fish pump on.......to driving onto the ice and across the lake in North Dakota to where they have the Buffalo fish corralled under the ice.

same with unloading. Sometimes just run to the trout plant and dump them in the holding tank. Sometimes take a small trailer to China Town and watch them carry them into the building one basket at a time. Not a boring job, that’s for sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Hauled live turkeys for a few months. Learned to always wear a hat with the bill pointing forwards. And never have your mouth open when your looking up. Saw someone do that. Hehehe

NightWind, Big_D409, Feedman and 4 others Thank this.
  4. w9l

w9l Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Sure you can join in. Not that I have any authority.... When the FMCSA came out with the Covid exemption orders they listed livestock and insect haulers. Had to scratch my head on the insect thing until my wife stated the obvious-bees. Got me to thinking-i am getting a little long in the tooth among alot of my peers. Maybe I should think about getting me a beerack. Trade my Hotshots and Rattle paddles and muck boots in on a bee suit and hat and a smoker. Bees sting but I have never been kicked by one. Never been kicked by a fish either so maybe a fishrack?? Sounds like an interesting job.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
  6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Do you enjoy the feeling of warm pee hitting your neck, running down your back, through the crack of you butt down your leg and into your sock? Then not being able to shower for a day or two? Then pig hauling might be for you!

7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    The only fish I've ever hauled that I worried about "kicking" were some 50 lb plus white sturgeon. Those things were STRONG, and could give you a pretty good bruise if they smacked you out of the water.

Other than that, they smell WAY better than pigs or turkeys.... until they die... ;)

8. Isafarmboy

Isafarmboy Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Alberta
    You gotta be one smart cookie if you don't have enough sense to git outta the way. How long did it take? For it to run its course??

NightWind, Blue jeans, Coffey and 4 others Thank this.
  9. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Can't always get out the way. Or if you are wearing many layers takes a minute to notice.

We had some integrators we hauled for we weren't allowed out of the trailer. So have to stand under the dog house the whole time when they are bringing pigs up

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I have no experience as a livestock hauler , but am here for the good stories . subscribed !

11. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Thats got to be the part I miss the most about hauling cattle... Getting off the beaten path and seeing some incredibly pristine country and meeting real down to earth folks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.