Multi axles, over 5 that is

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by johnday, May 13, 2010.

1. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

I've been looking for a semi local job. In my area there are a number of logging/forest product companies. One of them requires 2 years experience, no problem there, but they want 8 axle experience as well.

I'm sure there are some guys on here that have that experience. What can you tell us about the different requirements, if any.
    Such as dump valves, taking a corner, backing, walking floor, etc.

I'd like to talk to some of these companies and have a semi-intelligent idea about driving one of them.

Oh, these are chiptrucks I'm talking about. 120-140 yard capacity. Not a train, it's all on one trailer.:biggrin_255:

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    I pull a dump trailer with a lift axle as a 3rd on the trailer to make six total for the truck and trailer. Companies want guys that know when to lift and put the axle back down when needed, not once you've reached 60mph and said oh crap and then flatspot it once it hits the pavement. Supposedly in Florida where I live a combination vehicle can not have an air valve in the truck to control the axle, so when i'm loaded I put it down via a valve on the trailer, and when I'm empty I raise it back up, just this week I broke 2 major welds on the drop axle due to a left turn with an incline in it, I've been pulling this trailer now for six months so it finally decided the stress was too much. Simply put these companies just want people who are aware of the stress and pressure put on these added axles, sharp turns, u turns for example can mess a lot of things up in a heartbeat.

johnday Thanks this.
  4. johnday

So I take it you would dump the air just prior to a corner, then once you straighten out, drop it again? When backing I take it you would dump the air then as well, for increased mobility, not scrubbing the tires, and side loading your axles?
    Really, I'm not trying to be a smartarse, I really don't know, any info is welcome.:biggrin_255:

5. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    Yes that is the idea, and no offense taken to your comments. In Florida we have a lot of tri-axle dump trucks that have the valve inside to control the axle, basically lift when turning and put back down immediately, not once you get up to highway speeds. I typically gross around 76,000 and making the turns put a lot of stress on my drop axle, the wear on the tires is ridiculous I've had them on for around 4 months now, granted they were slightly used but still in good shape, but four months later they are worn pretty bad. I haul on a dedicated contract for Leon county so I see the same roads and same turns on a daily basis, I have a total of 180 miles round trip which I do 2-3 a day with apx. 120 of those miles being interstate miles and the wear on the 3rd axle is still severe. What I'm saying without rambling anymore is that like you've stated these companies are looking for individuals with their best interests in mind when it comes to being a safe driver and conserving and preserving their equipment.

6. johnday

Thanks, I know more than I did before. One more question, with a 5 axle trailer, is there any rule of thumb as to how many axles you could lift, or is that something the owner would spec when buying. In my mind I can see on a 5 axle, that 3 would be lift axles, and the other 2 would be fixed, if that's the right term.
    Oh, one more, why would Fl. restrict you from having a dump valve control in the cab. That has to be costing big bucks with the tire wear issue like you said, plus stressing the axle mounts, hence your broken welds.
    Thanks again for the help.:biggrin_25525:

7. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    I think you can lift as many as you want assuming the remaining axles can carry the load. Not much help lifting 5 if the remaining 3 bottom out. If you look most older Michigan sleds had 5 down and 3 lifts (the down axles were spring). Most newer ones I've seen are the opposite since air suspensions are cheaper and lighter than they used to be and the front 3 and back 2 are lifts. Ohio used to restrict lift axles, you could lift it from the cab but you weren't allowed to control the air pressure from the cab, probably the same with FL. (ohio has done away with this) Was supposed to kept people from cheating the scales. (not that anyone would ever do that :biggrin_25525:)

johnday Thanks this.
  8. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Most Mi. trains will have a dump switch in the cab to raise the tires in a turn.

I drove a 4axle trk. that was wired to dump the air on my tag when I turned on the turn signal and was in low range.

Would not raise the axle,just dump the air to make the turns easier.

Some states will nail you if the axles come off the ground when turning.
    They would watch you make the turn and see the axles lift. Then stop you and weigh you with the portables with the axles they saw on the ground.

You also have to be carefull when making turns if the roads are wet or icy.
    With the extra axles down it will push you in the turns. Nothing like going straight for the ditch or light pole instead of turning.

You need to make your turns wide and slow.

I run a 13 axle unit. To many pivot points. HaHa.

Most new trls. will auto regulate with the weight, but some you still have to do it manually.

Good luck with your quest

johnday Thanks this.
  9. johnday

Seems the more I learn, the more questions I come up with. I hope I'm not making it more difficult by thinking, LOL.
    We all know on a tandem, that you're limited to 34k. Now if I were to lift say 3 axles, I'd still be limited to 34k on the remaining 2? I know I've missed something there. That's all assuming I've got a 5 axle of course.
    I'd be illegal for sure.:biggrin_25525:

10. johnday

13 axles on 1 trailer? That must be a handful at times!!:biggrin_255:
    I can see that about pushing you straight, nothing like a tractor skid on dry pavement!!
    That auto regulate, is that just for axle loading in a straight line, or is there some sort of sensor to dump air while cornering?
    That setup on your dump truck sounds nice, wonder if there is anything like that for trailers.
    I'm learning guys, keep it coming. I'm finding out I don't know what I don't know. LOL:biggrin_2559:

11. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    Well that's the stupid thing about Michigan. Your allowed 34k on a tandem if your under 80k. But as soon as you go over 80k everything changes and they limit every axle to 18k max. But with 11axles most of the time that's not that hard to do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.