Multiple sales guys claiming their 12-14 CARB engines won't need rebuild until >600k

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by cabwrecker, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    A couple things...

We have four 2013 ISX's, 500 HP. All less than 200k on miles, and only one hasn't been rebuilt under warranty, one of those was an out-of-frame. :biggrin_2556:

And you guys do realize the big Maxxforce engine is a C-15 block with a high-pressure common-rail head on it, don't you?:biggrin_25519:

cabwrecker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 4vmach1

4vmach1 Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not true on detroits end. I have replaced GHG14 DD13/DD15 liner seals & head gaskets under warranty just around 350k miles or some times even less. I have replaced over 100 high pressure pump, cam housing, oil module & air compressor seals which usually come in leaking around 300k miles so extended warranty up to 500k is a must..pretty much the entire engine including the flywheel housing. So technically replacing the liner seals calls for new piston rings so i consider it a 90% rebuild minus the bearings.

cabwrecker Thanks this.
  4. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    mm I was under the impression that the e-7's coming were to be salvage type. But if I could get Mack power on a Paccar chassis I'd be there in a heartbeat. Might just be worth waiting a while longer to see what comes of that, especially if they're factory recon e-7's.

Only downside to the mp8 was mentioned a few pages back, you could hook it to a mountain and that engine brake would still be weedy.

spent a portion of the day feeling out dealers selling used gliders with the S60 in them, got a lot of answers but none direct as to why these guys let to of the gliders. Would really prefer a precarb glider but not if in picking up a used POS that was sent to pasture for a reason other than getting out of he game. All I can see internet wise is that these guys weren't getting what they were dreaming of with them, anyone have a bit more knowledge on this?

5. fuzzeymateo

fuzzeymateo Heavy Load Member

May 20, 2013
    AZ

Then by all means have at it. Out of 12 fleet Cascadia's DD13's new trucks (no more than two years old) I would say on average they are in the shop once every 30k for emissions related issues. I've been towed twice (two different trucks) because of emissions issues and yes, the truck was in compliance but the computer sensed otherwise. Both wrecker operators that gave me a tow said business has never been better and it's all due to the EPA's emission's garbage engines. They're not towing 15 year old trucks, they're towing new trucks. Even if covered by warranty who can afford to spend this much time in the shop? "reduced pollution" ? Okay, if you say so. Many of the newer CARB trucks get worse fuel mileage than pre-emissions trucks so how does this reduce pollution? I could go on and on about how the new trucks add pollution not "reduce it" but I've got other things to do today. Just look at the added production that goes into producing one of these. If you go with one of the newer engines I wish you luck. I myself won't roll the dice, too risky.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I get what you're saying but do you think it is really a fair comparison - 55 year old patched up motors versus '98-'02 electronic diesels?

Hammer166 and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  7. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    maxxforce not gonna get to 600k miles. Cummins maybe? Detroit also maybe? No for volvos.

8. Offroadjack

Offroadjack Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I got 850k on my d13 and it does not use a drop oil or have any blow-by I had to fix on plug on a nox sensor and replace one exhaust temp sensor
    before I got it it had one turbo done and the wiring harness to the head. so all an all its been a real good truck great ride and good fuel milage (till I
    put my new drives on) and the engine brake will stop the truck loaded with out touching the brakes. and th I-shift is the best thing ever

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.