Must be a fresh batch of new drivers this week.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, Jul 18, 2019.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

"Racist" someone winning an argument with a liberal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    By golly I wear shorts too when I go water skiing. lol Other than that it is jeans. I wore booots in a truck for years too, still do at times, it just depends on what I am doing. My first few years in trucks was all construction or farm related, shoes had no place there, even though most of the farm related was 500 mile one way hauls. I still however have not had sandals or flipflops, except for when I wear shorts. lol
    I have driven lots of miles over the years with no air. Back in the day in East Tx, La, Ar, ms and such, slept many a night on or under the trailer because it was too hot to even try and sleep in the sleeper.
    I still run a lot with no air, but I keep it working in my road trucks.
    I have owned my haul road truck since 2005, and just picked it up at the shop yesterday, first time it has been in a shop since I have owned it, and I was having the air repaired. I have not got the finished bill yet, but it sounds like it is coming out to be around 3500 bucks, maybe that is why it has never seen a dealer before now. lol

4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    May might fire that driver for doing that u turn, even though it was in the Truck stop

5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Yeah, and his paycheck is now gonna suffer because of the May drivers screw up.

6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Some guy out in Indiana was trying to back into a spot next to me a few weeks ago and made me a little nervous. Wide open parking lot with tons of pull up room and he snakes it around and sets up a 90* alley dock. I'm like WTF is this guy doing. I said hey you're gonna scrub all the tread off the tires if you keep doing that, just point your nose that way (across the parking lot) and let the trailer straighten out and then back it in! Some sort of eastern European foreigner. He left it about 15 feet out into the aisle and almost on the line on the other side.

7. so another words par for the course about normal??

D.Tibbitt, MartinFromBC and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    My new driving foot wear.

Attached Files:

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I remember showing up at a consignee where we just dropped the trailer. One of our guys was sitting there bobtail with his trailer sitting in the middle of the lot. Asked him if everything was OK and he said yes. He was waiting for the yard dog to put his trailer in a spot because "I'm not the best backer upper"

Some just don't want to improve their skills I guess.

TripleSix, tscottme, Lepton1 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Wait till they have to back up a transfer a mile or so. Boss gave me the wrong directions once, about a mile in a small two track road turned into a one track road that had a locked gate about another mile in, fence on both sides of the skinny road. lol
    My directions were to turn right onthe first road after I crossed the tracks, when I called for real directions, he claimed he gave me the right ones, when I told him where I was at, he said he forgot about that road.lol
    It took me a while to back that mess out of there.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’ve been out here going on 23 years and I would need a pacifier. My truck doesn’t move without a/c in the summer. I’d rather be comfortable in my new truck than sweating while trying to prove how tough I am.

12. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Here the driving examiner will not pass a person unless they can back up straight, and also to the left and right. They set up pylons in a parking lot, and before the truck leaves the parking lot on the road test, you must show you can reverse well, go forward and shift good, and do an emergency stop from 50 kms/hr, then drive a pylon course forward without hitting anything. If that is done successfully, the examiner will let the road test session begin. A full pre trip inspection must be completed before the parking lot test even begin, including getting under the truck and explaining how the brakes work, and how to adjust them. My daughter even had the examiner back off the adjusters on two brakes, and make her adjust them. On the road test he intentionally made her go down a narrow dead end road, and she had to back out up the hill, when she spun out on the snow and ice, he watched her chain up, and then finish backing up the hill to where she had sufficient room to turn around. She took her sets of triples off, and continued the road test. Me knowing that she had the necessary skills was not nervous. I went and had lunch a couple of blocks away. After she passed, she came and met me at the restaurant, and we continued on our way to deliver the loader that was on the low bed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.