Must have equipment in cab for OTR? Cooler, gadgets? Please help

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TunaMonkey, Oct 20, 2018.

1. TunaMonkey

TunaMonkey Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Hello I am new to OTR driving and am curious of items other drivers feel are important to have. Comfort items, gadgets or electronics? Must have items of any kind you would suggest to a newbie . Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. J Rich

J Rich Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    Atlanta Ga
    CB radio, Trucker GPS with Dash Cam, XM satellite radio, triple back 12v plugin, phone charger, small igloo cooler. I'm not OTR, but these are my must have. OTR should have a refrigerator.

4. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm out Monday-Friday, home weekends. I have a 12v Coleman cooler, 700w microwave (our shop is installing an inverter for me so I can start using it), laptop, sheets and wool blanket, pillow, food (fresh and prepackaged), lots of liquids (don't get dehydrated!), enough clothes for the week with laundry stuff just in case, plastic utensils, extra shoes, winter gear, tools, truck GPS.

Tb0n3 and TripleSix Thank this.
  5. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Baby wipes. For many reasons.

6. Texas_hwy_287

Texas_hwy_287 Road Train Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Texas
    Dont forget plastic bags just in case. :D

7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Water, tools, condiments, the aforementioned baby wipes, oil, coolant, cigarettes, flashlight, lighter, washer fluid, fifth wheel grease, rubbing alcohol, I can't think of anything else, it's almost beer time

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    A good attitude.

Xeno124, bryan21384 and JReding Thank this.
  9. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Definitely!

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    ^^^^^^^^^

@TunaMonkey, write this down:

The Driver's Agenda is to 1. Get Paid 2. Get Home safely. Don't think for a minute that your company will take care of these things for you.

If you're going to run all 48, you have to be prepared for all 48. If you are planning a camping trip in the PNW in November, what would you bring with you? The electronics are to help you monitor the weather and the roads and find your way. The other gear is for your survival. Shoes and gloves get wet. Trucks can break down on the side of the road. Can you SURVIVE?

One more thing I would add to Mr @JReding's list is $1000 cash. Keep a grand stashed for emergencies. Arrow Trucking went under and the drivers were stranded all over the country. Whose agenda is it for you to get home safely? $1000 will get you a uhaul/bus ticket...etc.

Luck in battle.

Blackshack46 and JReding Thank this.
  11. TunaMonkey

TunaMonkey Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Do you guys do your shopping for food and such in personal vehicle when possible? Or try to find a Wal-Mart or somewhere you can get in with rig? Or just truck stops?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.