Must read!!!! Stopped by FL DOT yesterday....

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Driver of the year, Mar 16, 2013.

1. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Perhaps to you, but then you're not the one making the rules, so your opinion is not relevant.

Although in principal I tend to agree with you about the concept of what determines whether it is inter-, or intra-, the rules are what they are. Feel free to challenge them if you so desire.

double yellow and rockee Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    If you pick up in Texas, and the load is going to Mexico, and you run it down to Laredo where it's cross-docked onto a Mexican trailer,... you do NOT need TX intrastate authority as you are participating in interstate commerce (commerce regulated by the federal government, not by the state).

There was a discussion about this in the brokering form regarding a Coyote Logistics agent lying about it to a prospective carrier regarding a load that went from Texas to Laredo, but was not heading to Mexico. Therefore, it's intrastate, and intrastate authority would've been required which the carrier did not have.

aiwiron and Container Hauler Thank this.
  4. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    That was my thread and you are correct, also if it is intended for a border crossing the papers had better be with the BOL or it is classified as a Intrastate transfer.

5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    The whole 'continuation of Interstate [or international] commerce' thing backfired on the truckers.

Carriers got around intra state PUC regulations by hauling intra state freight from tank farms & other such locations where they could claim being the last leg of an interstate transaction.

Port trucklers, tired of the heavy cans, got blanket overweight permits because the sealed cans [indivisible shipments] were a continuation of interstate commerce.

It is only a matter of time before this becomes reality; kinda like being beaten over the head w/ our own stuff.

6. Scalemaster

Scalemaster Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Midwest
    That is pretty much the way it went down.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  7. Driver of the year

Driver of the year Medium Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Nothing about we were trying to get away or around regulations, the reason we have blanket overweight permits and the farm crowd had to do what they had to do was because the Feds., City, State etc... were all trying to steal our hard working money! Look at that George Washington Bridge in New York? $65.00 toll? by the time i got out of Long Island and New York, i spend more than $200.00 and the tractor lost two shock absorbers with the horrible roads in that state! Where's all that money? to pay unions and their Benefits that New York cant fulfill! I was so glad to be back in Florida after driving through those horrible roads in those northern union states! Here in Florida, no Unions, no income tax and we have the best highways and roads in the country! But that's allright! the good days are coming and when we unite, these abuses will be thing of the past!

8. Fiddle Sticks

Fiddle Sticks Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Chicagoland
    Yes, the rust belt union states are that which I wish to flee---will you assist me--in doing so? Here in Illinois, we have the triple whammy--Fed Gov broke, State Gov Broke, Local Gov broke, unemployment and corruption high. Wisconsin's I-90 roads had me harking back memories of driving my howiztzer down tank trails at Ft. Hood, Texas! After what I have read on TTR and about California, I will not go to either state--boycott I shall!

-------------------------

With all seriousness, I am training at a container outfit locally here in Chicagoland (no pay) for another four days, and whiz testing Friday. After I attempt to get six months experience accomplished, would I be able to get on with an outfit in Florida? I love that there is no state income tax there also, so I would be 5% better on my take-home income

9. Driver of the year

Sep 28, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Most Container Companies require 1 year. If you have more than one year CDL plus that six month, yea. No problem. Just have a good budget for repairs. Just fix my water pump and rush Peterbuilt in tampa did a good job again.

Fiddle Sticks Thanks this.
  10. Fiddle Sticks

Fiddle Sticks Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Chicagoland
    Okay, thanks for the heads up. I would probably want to be a driver at first before I O/O up. Maybe after staying here until March 2014 where I then hope to have the 'year's experience' feather in my cap, I will count my money to see if I can purchase a Power Unit.

Would driver positions be hard to find in the even I am not able to save up enough cash? The Chinese New Year kinda shuts down container biz from Jan-Feb around here I am told...

11. Driver of the year

Sep 28, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Yes! that is very true when the Chinese close business for their holidays and i was told about that slowdown, but we have an account that sends empty soda cans to Trinidad and thats what keeps us busy two or three time a week towards a port on the other side of the state. I noticed something that makes sense this week! im seeing alot of business that companies in florida and houston texas are doing. Companies in houston are using ships to buy products in florida, then receive it in port rather than using a rig hauling from Lakeland FL to Houston Texas. Same with CSX intermodal. We get alot of business through the rail roads so China wont starve us.

Fiddle Sticks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.