Mx13 exhaust manifold slip joints leaking

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Rounded_nut, Oct 12, 2019.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Yea the slips dont leak.......just have to replace the gaskets every other oil change......lol[/QUOTE]

We quit buying red after the CM871's, but didn't have many issues with manifold gaskets cause we saw the broken bolts early!
    I feel the BPV leak worse than the manifolds on the MX and starting to see more sticky ones as we go over 500,000 miles on them. It is always something!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    pushbroom Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shawn2130

Shawn2130 Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    The Cat C15 ACERT we have, the last driver made the mistake of taking the slip joint apart when he was replacing the manifold gaskets.

That was a pain in the butt because we have two turbos to work with.

He tried sealer, cleaning up the joints but to no avail. Black soot trails.

Then he rolled up steel wool, wrapped them around the joint, took a stainless steel strip, wrapped it around the steel wool, applied 2 stainless steel hose clamps to compress the steel wool in place.

Since then it’s been leak free even with almost 60 psi of boost.

I could take a picture of it next time I’m in the shop.

MARE, spsauerland and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. Shawn2130

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    Here is the manifold of the C15 ACERT:

upload_2019-10-13_20-0-49.jpeg

This is steel wool rolled, wrapped, and a stainless strip wrapped around and banded with 2 stainless hose clamps

MARE, joey8686 and Rounded_nut Thank this.
  5. Hollywoodsaint

Hollywoodsaint Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2020
    Hollywood California
    Does or did the whistle start happening when you accelerated 65 mph and above?
    I ask because I have a 2014 Peterbilt 579 Paccar MX13 and my whistle sounded like it was coming from the tire area, but then researching it i thought it could be a loose pulley but could never pinpoint it.
    I just had my DPF system serviced at Peterbilt and upon their diagnostic they told me "Exhaust manifold slip joints starting to leak".....
    The warranty for the manifold campaign expires at 435, 000 miles and im at 560,000 so I just missed it, LOL

6. Hollywoodsaint

Jun 20, 2020
    Hollywood California
    435, 000 is where the warranty expires...I have the paperwork on that because I'm at 560,000 on my 2014 Peterbilt 579 Paccar MX13

7. Hollywoodsaint

Jun 20, 2020
    Hollywood California
    Hahaha....I know this whistle...only at 65 MPH or above i would hear it. Thought it was coming from my right tire when i rolled the window down for months...at 1st i thought it was the wheel bearings starting to go bad.
    I had too many miles for the camlaign warranty. I believe the campain warranty was up to 465,000 but i already passed that quick.
    If you own your Pete as I do...i found the best Paccar parts dealer...for example...my exhaust manifold was $1800 at RUSH Peterbilt in California....i got it for $1100 at JX Peterbilt in Indianapolis. My EGR valve went bad cause its connected to the Exhaust manifold and it was $3300 plus tax at RUSH and I got it for $2000 plus tax at JX
    Just my 2 cents but once that exhaust manifold starts leaking those gaskets gotta bechanged...its either that or the heat has warped the ports of the manifold. I believe there is a sealant you can put around the gaskets on the 6 ports of the manifold but i feel its like putting a band aid on a dam thats about to burst.
    With my experience I had major loss of power climbing hills loaded and even acceleration. The truck will run and both engine lights will be on (regular & wrench) but its annoying climbing a hill at 15 mph loaded when you should be getting 40 mph and only 60 -65 mph on a highway empty.
    I used the momentum from the weight of my loaded trailer to help get me buy till i bought the parts and had the dealership install them....friggin $198 per hour labor !

8. MARE

MARE Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2014
    Do you know what stainless strip he used?

9. Shawn2130

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    Hello, I used thin stainless pieces that I cut from a sheet of stainless I had laying around.

Basically the thickness of a furnace ducting for example.

I used what I can bend around the manifold with my hands and wrapped it about a round and a half or two. Then clamped it.

MARE Thanks this.
  10. MARE

MARE Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2014
    And does that clamps still holding? No leaks since then?
    I'm having horrible issue with manifold joints, so I'm about to try this thing you said

11. Shawn2130

Sep 20, 2015
    Ontario
    I went out and took pictures right now.

Since the 2 turbos make over 50 psi of boost, the manifold doesn’t seem to be leaking so far.

675E82B1-6809-42C1-9FBA-47FBCBD57E7E.jpeg 508C4F27-6178-45FB-9FF5-FA247EDE0F14.jpeg

When I had the engine overhauled the manifold pieces easily comes apart, which I think is old age. It’s still the original manifold with 1.4 million km on it.

At the joints before, used to be all black from leaking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.