My Adventure: Sage Fort Pierce

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by CalculatedRisk, Apr 25, 2023.

1. CalculatedRisk

CalculatedRisk Heavy Load Member

Jul 26, 2022
    Space Coast
    Background

To begin, I had went to roadmaster at the end of 2009 and beginning of 2010. I wanted something a little bit different. @Concorde recommended Sage in Fort Pierce. Because I have high functioning autism, I was told by vocational rehabilitation that I would qualify. They offered to send me to TDI in Sanford, but I requested sage if it was available.

Fortunately, it was and my counselor and I got the ball rolling. You see, I used to have my CDL. Therefore, I did not need to my permit again. I obtained a DOT physical and went through the process of getting my class a CDL license back.

The Cost(s)

The out-of-pocket cost was right around $94 for the reinstatement of the CDL. The DOT physical cost me $175 plus tax. The tanker endorsement cost me $41 because you need to be able to pay for a new copy of your CDL. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but that’s just above $310. I do not know what the cost is to get the permit.

Next I had to register with publishers clearinghouse, and after my schooling was authorized by vocational rehabilitation, I got in touch with the Program Director in Fort Pierce. After that, I went and took my urine analysis.

Tuition cost(s):

The out-of-pocket tuition for somebody who wants to attend and pay for it it’s close to $4900. It is much more cost efficient than roadmaster and TDI Sanford. here is the catch; you spend five days in a classroom and some of it on the range and if you live like an hour away like I do, I would highly suggest getting a hotel room like I did. The tuition cost does not include a hotel room for your duration of the school.

Hotel Information:

I stayed at the Holiday Inn between the turnpike and 95. Now I had built up a ton of points for the Holiday Inn rewards program and I decided to use a good portion of those to stay for free down there. I used around 120,000 points which is equivalent to right around $700 and hotel room cost(s). If you are a IHG member, you get free Wi-Fi and I believe you get free continental breakfast, which I highly recommend because it will save you from going to McDonald’s, Dunkin, or Publix like I did a couple times.

Nearby Convenience(s)

Within a 5 mile radius, I was able to shop at a Publix, go to Wawa to go get gas. There is a Chick-fil-A, cafeteria on campus at IRSC, a Circle K that has good hotdogs, or what I suggest you do if you end up staying in a hotel and want home cooked meals is bring an air fryer. Of course you have your loves truckstop and pilot nearby. There is a Walmart nearby as well.

Training:

like I mentioned before, the classroom training is done over at Indian River State College. You will need sunscreen and personally I would wear a nice polo shirt with shorts. Bring sunscreen and that’s needed for when you go out to the range and start practicing your pre-trip with the instructor.

The next portion is done online and can be done in about 5 to 6 hours if you pay attention to the material. After that, once you get done with the online portion, you will be contacted by the program Director regarding your drive times, and when those are.

Advice:

Before going to school, you will already need to have an obtained your class a permit. also, start lining up pre-hires. Get a highlighter and a couple of pens and bring them to class with you. Also, I would arrive 15 minutes early prior to the start time.

I hope this helps anybody who is considering Sage.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Have you selected a company yet?

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  4. CalculatedRisk

Jul 26, 2022
    Space Coast
    Honestly, I want to go with Indian River Transport

Flat Earth Trucker and Concorde Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Excellent! Keep us posted.

6. CalculatedRisk

Jul 26, 2022
    Space Coast
    Will do.

7. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    The tuition fee is what I paid back in 2016? also…That’s the in state tuition cost and you have to be a confirmed resident for at least one year. Non resident tuition is significantly higher..like thousands higher!
    There was one instructor there..Eric? who had over 30 years experience and in between Sage he taught FBI agents. Great guy you can learn a lot from if he’s still there.

Glad to hear everything is moving along for you over there..
    Best of luck.

Practice your pre-trip out loud with another student or anyone that’ll listen, lol. Best advice I can give you so you’re not totally nervous when you go to test out.

Your tester will be the instructor that never drove with you in training..you’ll figure it out as you get closer to test day.

8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Clarification -- The REAL adventure begins.....when you're at your first carrier....and they (finally) hand you the keys.....o_O

Everything in front of that is just puff stuff....:cool:

-- Lual

9. CalculatedRisk

Jul 26, 2022
    Space Coast
    I forgot to mention one thing and that’s the online training is your ELDT part. The quizzes for each section are just like the ones you would take for the actual CDL permit test.

now, for any new drivers that are just getting into the industry, this is absolutely required. There are no if’s and’s or but’s. You have to do this in order to get your hazmat endorsement as well, which is an additional $85 or $80 something dollars. Forgive me because I cannot remember that number at the top of my head.

Last, but not least, for those living in Florida, take the tanker practice test on here. Most if not all of the questions are similar to those being done at the DMV. It’s a one time deal meaning unlike your hazmat you get your tanker endorsement permanently as long as you hold your CDL.

finally, study study study. Now, one thing I did find out was that if you cannot shift a manual or don’t feel comfortable in a manual, go for the automatic and come back when you have the money to do some road hours with an instructor and test out on the manual.

I know for a fact, a lot of the companies are going to automatics such as Schneider, Melton, Swift, Indian River, Rowland.

Concorde Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Rowland has good starting pay @ .60 cpm
    Website shows need 12 mos. experience.
    Do they hire grads from Sage?

CalculatedRisk and Concorde Thank this.
  11. CalculatedRisk

Jul 26, 2022
    Space Coast
    Yes but only two at a time and starting pay for students is right around $.50 a mile.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.