My analysis of CFI

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by truckermario, May 2, 2007.

1. shortrookie

shortrookie Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2007
    I'm in Saint Augustine Florida What companys hire here? The good ones only. I need training so a school with training or a school that a good company hires from.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    As far as the comment about being a female and asked to unload a trailer.
    What does your gender have to do with it?

The company was treating you as a driver and not a female so you gave up your job because the company did not discriminate for you?

Go work at USX. Trust me, they don't treat women there as equals to men either. They will give you a new truck even as a solo driver,not some team truck that had the carp ran out of it for a couple of years first, or a lemon that spends more time in the shop then on the road. Heck, they will even fast track you to a dedicated run, and let you drop a driver unload for a male driver to deliver so you won't break a nail and file a workers comp claim. They even have automatic 5th wheel releases so you wont have to strain yourself doing that either. If you want a Volvo which has a smaller steering wheel, just tell them your hands are to small and your arms are to short to drive a Pete or frtlnr. No shifter or clutch pedal to worry about either, so your left foot will be free to two foot when driving. They will even find you someone to team up with if you don't want to fuel, back the trailer, or slide the tandems and open the doors

Now don't get me wrong, there are many women drivers who lump chain and do everything the males do, but USX has spent millions on accommodations for those who don't want to.

NHL_fan Thanks this.
  4. Rocket

Rocket Guest

I thought the problem was that she wasn't going to get paid for unloading?

5. shortstop

shortstop Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2007
    florida
    excuse me for not bing so clear on my comments, it has nothing to do with being female true, and yes they were going to pay me to unload,, the point being is that i do not unload frieght dont want to any way shape or form and dont want to be forced to unload, if a person chooses to unload for extra money sure,,,, great for them, I dont mind driver assist or tagging loads but dont force me to get out there and unload a trailer if i dont choose too, I am a driver not a lumper I dont do dedicated runs and I dont unload freight... companies have enough employees out there that if one chooses not too they should not have too.

6. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    the only problem with that is if the bills say that it is driver unload you either unload it or get approval for a lumper if a lumper is avalible.

7. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Sorry to take so long getting back to this thread...I answered some of you in a private message....others...not at all.

So here goes...who do I work for now? Watkins & Shepard....and NO I do not make .59 a mile. I make .35 a mile. But, I pull a lot of LTL, I actually have to work for it ;)...and my stop pay makes up for the differance. I know the tongues are wagging now at the .35 a mile...but it's not about the money. It's about the quality of life....and the money. More hometime = less money spent on the road and more time and money with my family.

1 stop...1 chair = 25 dollars. A whole trailer can hold almost 100 pieces. The stops pay the same regardless of pieces (unless more than 1/2 the load has to go to 1 customer)....but you can see how quickly it can add up if the load is planned properly to begin with. Many stops are within the same city, so you don't cover many miles... A typical load will have 6-10 stops and fewer than 60 pieces.

The lady earlier, who does not unload. I was the same way at CFI, when I was there. I refused to unload, also. Simply because they didn't pay enough for me to unload.

A CFI driver can make well over $500 in stop pay for a 10 stop load. The likelyhood of actually getting a 10 stopper.....1 in 1000.

If I do 20 stops in 1 week (easily done). How many miles do I need to cover to gross $1000.... less than 1500.

A recent typical run: Leaving Sunday at 3pm....Myrtle, MS to Oxford, AL via Columbus, GA .. 8 stops, 647 miles = $426 reload the next morning(Tuesday) in La Grange, GA 3 pick ups, to Dalton, GA, swap trailers ($118 ), go to Brownsville, TN ($110) unload (24 hr receiver) Deadhead to yard with pay, Arrive home Wednesday early am. AND NO...I wasn't legal on my logs, I ran out of hours about 50 miles from the yard.

Now I've made $654 in only 1158 miles. I actually made more...I did not include the deadhead miles with pay to the yard. And... I have another 2 - 2 1/2 days to work with for the remainder of the week if I choose to do so. Which I do. And, I occasionally do a long run to our Jersey terminal...from time to time, which I've found cost me more money than it's worth.

Nothing wrong with OTR ....I done it for years. My priorities are differant now, and my debt load is substantially less now :) If I were single, or my wife drove, I would still be out there pounding pavement.

8. antc7

antc7 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2007
    West Haven, Connecticut
    Interesting. I would def lump LTL loads to make more money.

I know you gave us examples of how you are paid, do they have a set pay rate you can lay down.

I live in CT, how are their OTR miles?
    Do they have a east regional, whats the story with that?
    Any info on the flatbed aspect would be great.
    Thanks.

9. shortstop

shortstop Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2007
    florida
    well I just found out that Conway just bought out CFI,, can you believe that, :biggrin_25510: so no telling how the company will be ran now..

so no more CFI

10. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    CFI WILL REMAIN INTACT! It will be a separate division under the CFI name.

11. truckdriver402

truckdriver402 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Orwell, OH
    It's now going to be called Con Way Truckload, from what I read at The Trucker. Kinda sad...I hate corporate buyouts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.