My brakes are smoking when on steep grades.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TankerYanker36, Feb 22, 2022.

1. MadScientist

MadScientist Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Yep. Which method works better is all about the specific conditions: Grade slope, grade length, road condition, controlled access freeway or two lane with traffic lights and stop signs, etc.

Different driving methods are different tools in your box. Use the right tool for the right job. Don't insist that a single tool is the best one for every job. There's no best tool for every job, there's only the best tool for each specific job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Wow. Its always a thread like this , about how to get down the mountain. Always gets derailed. Hey theres 25 ways to get down the same mountain. As long as its a safe way then its the right way.

God prefers Diesels and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. Bumper

Bumper Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Kingsport, Tennessee
    I smoked them real good going across the Tennesse to North Carolina I 40 Pass. After all was said and done I found out that I had zero to very little trailer brake. No disc brakes on my cheap as possible company Navistar LT either. No manual mode either. Its about to have me neither....

5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    This is a perfect example of why a lot of steep grades will have a sign up at the top stating "trucks must use low gear" it must be a gear that should hold you without ever having to touch your brakes, or at worst very little. Fortunately you got to the bottom without losing control you may not be as fortunate next time.

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Last time I did that was out on US-30 coming E/B about 5 miles west of Bedford, PA. I misjudged my distance from the bottom of the hill. Fortunately it was the middle of the night with no traffic.

7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I think it depends on the settings configured on the truck. I have been in newer freightliner and the manual mode was disabled. When I tried to shift nothing happened.

Also another truck I was in, it would let me shift, but the truck would just shift right back up (or down) again.

As far as hills go, those auto freightshakers do alright once you get the feel for it.

For steep grades full load just set the engine brake down 3 clicks. It's the handle that sticks out to your right. Just push it down 3 clicks to get maximum strength.

Then if more is needed you can tap your service brakes. Slow it down about 5 miles per hour. Take your foot off the brake. You'll see the truck will be slowing down even more. That's probably the auto downshift helping.

Play with the engine brake, get a feel for it. It's pretty easy.

8. midgetripples

midgetripples Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2018
    last company i drove for had disc brakes on tractor and trailer, it was an 8 axle setup and was very nice especially when i got inspected. did get stopped once at a scale cause the dot guy knew my company used all disc and he didnt want to crawl under a truck lmao

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.